• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New 10 gallon tank

Michael

5 Year Member
I have recently set up a 10 gallon aquarium which is slight planted with a piece of driftwood. Is it pushing my luck to much by putting a trio of apistogramma borelli in that tank? ANy suggestions would be appreciated!

-Michael

aspen

5 Year Member
nothing wrong with that. with a couple of small algae eaters to distract some of the picking, it should be a nice tank. borellii's are the mildest of the apistos, (ime) and with some more cover, they should make a nice display. i would put a good secluded nesting site on each end of the tank and effective filtration with a light flow. you will likely see their breeding activity quite soon, so make sure the filter is cycled before the fish go in.

rick

2la

5 Year Member
Personally in a tank of that size I'd recommend a pair rather than a trio. I kept a breeding pair in a 15G-long and the little lady took command of that tank. When she led fry around the tank, every nook and cranny was hers! :D

Michael

5 Year Member
Are a. borelli picky about water conditions to breed and what would be the best gravel for the tank(would sand be ok). Thanks for your help!

-Michael

Neil

Are a. borelli picky about water conditions to breed and what would be the best gravel for the tank(would sand be ok).

Not particularly! They can manage just fine in even slightly alkaline water, but softer is better. They also can handle much colder temps than most apistos. Sand is just fine!

Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….