• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma in 9 gallon fluval flex

MacZ

Ok, obviously: Small tanks are used by the experienced and professional, but not recommendable for beginners and the typical home-hobbyist.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Ok, obviously: Small tanks are used by the experienced and professional, but not recommendable for beginners and the typical home-hobbyist.
I'm going to borrow a quote from the book, "The River Why" by a fellow fly fisherman, David James Duncan which I have always felt applied to keeping and breeding challenging species of fish too.
"And anyone who thinks I brag is stating that I understand fish-thought is obviously ignorant of the way in which fish think. Believe me, it's nothing to brag about."

MacZ

Maybe something is lost in translation, but I definitely am not thinking you or anyone here is bragging. I've kept my east african fish in smaller tanks than recommendable too, back in the day (the 90s). Only reason that was possible was that I was able to observe the fish every day in the fishroom and always had spare tanks to move fish. That's all that is to it. If someone has a very small tank and no experience with the group of fish it's a completely different situation.

But saying you keep and breed them in small tanks is neither recommending nor bragging to me. Just a statement I think I can contextualize well enough.

I stick with it: It is possible, but not generally recommendable without reservations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….