• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crenicichla Compressiceps Tank Mate

HookedOnFish_MI

I have a 30 gallon aquarium (36” x 12” x 16”) with 1 Crenicichla Compressiceps (just under 2”) and 10 Serpae Tetra. I am wondering if there are any suggestions for 1 additional centerpiece type fish that I can add to this setup. I understand additional dwarf pike are out of the question. Will any species of Apistogramma work? I’m open to any suggestions. I also have plenty more anubias from my other aquariums that I can add if necessary.

IMG_8539.jpeg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
IMHO, I wouldn't put any other bottom-dwell fish (especially a cichlid) in this tank. C. compressiceps has a reputation of being rather aggressive and territorial. I doubt that any fish would be accepted in its territory - the entire tank.

MacZ

IMHO, I wouldn't put any other bottom-dwell fish (especially a cichlid) in this tank. C. compressiceps has a reputation of being rather aggressive and territorial. I doubt that any fish would be accepted in its territory - the entire tank.
I concurr. I was thinking of getting one of these last year. The store employee begged me not to. They had to remove all other fish besides the Crenicichla from the sales tank. They killed the tetras (Hasemania sp.) and bit off the caudal and dorsal fins of Corydoras in the tank. I'd also leave it as it is.

HookedOnFish_MI

Thank you both for the replies. I’ve been seeing very mixed messages on these fish. However, from those who have had experience keeping them, I see more accounts like this:

MacZ

Thank you both for the replies. I’ve been seeing very mixed messages on these fish. However, from those who have had experience keeping them, I see more accounts like this:

Just as a thought: You are aware that the description hints to a tank much bigger than yours? In big tanks obviously many things will work, that will not in a small one, especially with dwarf cichlids. My point and that of Mike is: Small tanks do not offer the space necessary.

HookedOnFish_MI

Just as a thought: You are aware that the description hints to a tank much bigger than yours? In big tanks obviously many things will work, that will not in a small one, especially with dwarf cichlids. My point and that of Mike is: Small tanks do not offer the space necessary.
Oh of course…the 10 Discus and hundreds of shrimp were the dead giveaway. My point was that I’ve seen very different experiences with these fish, with that just being one example. Totally understand tank size makes all the difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….