• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos in 10 gallon?

shayh08

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a pair of apistos for a ten-gallon tank. I'm interested in the panda breed. I'm wondering if a 10-gallon is a good size and as well what kinds would work well in it. Thanks!

MacZ

Apistogramma panduro may take some attempts of introducing new males until the female accepts one. Also with that tank size generally a second tank is advised to separate them if necessary, which may happen on very short notice.
If these are your first: Either try with a bigger tank or start with a single male without a female if the tank is going to be a display. If this is supposed to be a breeding project, definitely have a second tank at hand and make sure to have no other fish in it.

shayh08

Apistogramma panduro may take some attempts of introducing new males until the female accepts one. Also with that tank size generally a second tank is advised to separate them if necessary, which may happen on very short notice.
If these are your first: Either try with a bigger tank or start with a single male without a female if the tank is going to be a display. If this is supposed to be a breeding project, definitely have a second tank at hand and make sure to have no other fish in it.
Are males able to live alone?

shayh08

Or is there a breed that is better recommended for first time apistos owners? I’ve had a pair of kribs before but never apistos

MacZ

Are males able to live alone?
Yes, of course.

Or is there a breed that is better recommended for first time apistos owners?
Breed - no.
Species - yes.

Apistogramma borellii. Smallest species regularly available, would work in a tank 60x30x30cm. Should not be combined with other bottom dwellers, though. So no catfish and no loaches in the same tank. Not really a pair fish either (most Apistogramma are not monogamous, few exceptions: A. panduro, A. nijsseni, A. baenschi). So again: If the tank is supposed to be a display and not a breeding tank, just don't get a female.

I’ve had a pair of kribs before but never apistos
Well comparable in terms of space and other needs (decoration and foods), but completely different behaviour from Apistogramma. Pelvicachromis usually pair up easily and tend to more monogamous lifestyle, and terrorize the tank together when spawning.
Apistogramma are usually poly and the males want any females that are not ready to spawn out of their territory asap. Lot of chasing, lot of aggression as long as the female is not receptive. Once they spawned the females terrorize the whole tank including the male on their own.
You can imagine that the smaller the tank the worse it gets. That's why small tanks are only ok for either keeping a single male or if breeding is intended to remove the male to another tank after spawning.

anewbie

My Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis do quite well in a 10; while technically not an apistogramma they are very similar. I've heard of people having good success with dario dario in a 10 (again not an apistogramma). Do be aware that breeding females will kill other females; so you really want no more than one female and will need to remove frys after 3 or 4 months.

MacZ

My Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis do quite well in a 10; while technically not an apistogramma they are very similar.
How is ther availability? And would you recommend them to a beginner?

Dario dario might be dependent on live foods. Not always, but often.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The only apisto species that I would consider breeding in a 10 gallon/40L tank would be A. wapisana. It is an interesting species in its breeding behavior, relatively easy to reproduce, but not very attractive and, because of this, almost never imported.

anewbie

How is ther availability? And would you recommend them to a beginner?

Dario dario might be dependent on live foods. Not always, but often.
In the USA they are readily available right now; i think they are beginner fishes - i'm mostly a beginner. they work fine in my tap water (gh 6 kh 3 tds 130); m/f mostly get along - when the female has frys she will sometime snap at the male (sort of like rams) but mostly leave him be and the frys will frequently run to him if they feel threatend. I guess the only thing about my tank that might differ from a raw beginner is the scape is pretty decent for a 10 with different hiding areas. Right now i ahve about 25 in the 10 (only 1 full adult and a couple of females that have reached breeding age but not fully grown). In about a week i will be moving the larger ones into a 120 - and leaving the smaller ones in the 10 to finish growing out. Sadly the 10 is better scaped than the 120 but i'll work on that after i move. In that sense they are easier than panduro as they don't need very soft or acidic water to breed. The only real negative is unlike - for example borelli - after 2 years the male still hides from me (they were wc) so that is that aspect to consider.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….