• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto in a community

James_123

I have just set up a 20 gallon (60cm, 40cm, 40cm) and am looking at getting a pair of apistogramma as a centre piece but am unsure of what type would be best and if you would recommend getting something else as a centre piece. I was thinking of getting a pair of cacatuoides but if there is a more peaceful type you guys might recommend I'm all ears

Current stocking of tank is

5 Panda Corys
8 Harlequin Rasbora
3 Otto Cats

Any advice would be appreciated

anewbie

You don't want the panda cory as they will occupy the space the apisto occupy and not understand the aggressive nature of the apisto when they guard frys. I.e, the cacockatoo will constantly attack the panda and the panda will just return causing stress to everyone. The best way to make it more peaceful is to only get a male; and i'd recommend borelli as i've seen even single male cockatoo be aggressive; borelli are a more passive species and (imho) nicer looking though i haven't observed any real interesting behavior in either cockatoo or borelli.

MacZ

With those tank dimensions a single male of a smaller species is all that will work in a community, although generally it is not advisable to keep any dwarf cichlid with Corydoras in a tank under 100-120cm length. If you have an especially aggressive Apistogramma the Corydoras might get stressed out a lot. And the Apisto will be stressed anyway. Also there will be food competition with the Corydoras as Apistogramma are also bottom dwellers.
With the current stocking I'd rather recommend a single Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna) instead of an Apisto, provided the tank is very densely planted up to the surface.

Care to post a picture of the tank?

James_123

With those tank dimensions a single male of a smaller species is all that will work in a community, although generally it is not advisable to keep any dwarf cichlid with Corydoras in a tank under 100-120cm length. If you have an especially aggressive Apistogramma the Corydoras might get stressed out a lot. And the Apisto will be stressed anyway. Also there will be food competition with the Corydoras as Apistogramma are also bottom dwellers.
With the current stocking I'd rather recommend a single Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna) instead of an Apisto, provided the tank is very densely planted up to the surface.

Care to post a picture of the tank?
Ok thanks for the information I have thought about a honey gourami and so will probably go for that thanks for your help

MacZ

Allright, wise decision. Please make sure the tank is overgrown and has lots of foliage and some twigs at the surface. Lots of floaters are also advisable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….