• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Steatocranus sp. red eye spawned

viejo

5 Year Member
The steatocranus are busy working out the pair bond / dominance thingy. There seem to be at least 2 pairs involved, not bad for a group of 6. The sex ratio on the cristatus was a little skewed ( only one female :wink: ) but no matter, as I now have a more than adequate number of offspring from her.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Jeff, I finally got a chance to take a few pictures of the gibbiceps: two of my F1 juvies and an adult male in hiding. They look like true gibbiceps, not cf. casuarius, to me. I'll try to take some more pictures tomorrow. Unfortunately, the adults rarely ever come out of their hiding places. The Red Eye juvies have been growing well, and I will try to get some better pictures of them too.

Janos

SteatocranusgibbicepsF1_2.jpg

SteatocranusgibbicepsjuvenileF1_1.jpg

Steatocranusgibbicepsmale.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would agree that they aren't the cf. casuarius. The scale color pattern, light colored center and dark colored edge, is right for gibbiceps. So, unless they are one of the "new" Steatocranus spp. that have been recently collected I'd agree that your fish are gibbiceps.

Please add them to the list of fish you have that I would like to make arrangments to get when the white death stops falling from the sky!

Jeff

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Jeff, this shouldn't be a proble. I have a bunch of F1 juvies swimming in one of my tanks. Shipping is probably not a good idea right now. This weekend's highs are in the single digits.

Janos

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi,

this is heiko Bleher and I must say - besides wishing everyone still great holidays and a fantastic new year - that I am very pleased to see people are breeding the Steatocranus sp. "red-eye" which I discovered many years back. And I believe these all are still from those frew I brought back to germany adn the (unforyunatly late) Rainer Warzel bred and distributed them.

Rainer was a great guy and I gave him quite a few of my collectes, Apistosgramma, Crenicichla, Teleocichla, Nannacara, Steatocranus and other West Africans, he was always keen to produce rare and new fishes...

Great guys, keep up the fantastic breeding and take care of those beauties, as they are...

always

from a collectors

Heiko bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I had another spawn from a second pair of Red Eyes. This time, it happened in a tank that holds most of my adult, wild-caught group and I'm not too optimistic about raising all that many fish from the second spawn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….