• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Steatocranus sp. red eye spawned

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Earlier this year I got me a group of about 12 juvenile Stetaocranus sp. red eye. I kept them in a 20G long growout tank. About two weeks ago I transferred two pairs into a 29G, shared with 5 Red Mooncap tetras. I just noticed a small group of red eye wigglers in the tank. There are at least eight wigglers, but more might hide underneath a large log of driftwood. I will try to take a few pictures tonight after sunset and will post them here; right now there is too much glare on the glass for taking good pictures.

It looks like the female is doing most of the work guarding the fry, while the male is merely sticking around. The second red eye pair is chased around and I'll try to get them out of the tank without causing too much of a disturbance. The tetras are pretty much left alone unless they enter the area right in front of the driftwood.

Pictures to follow.

Janos

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
My wife is in the basement trying to get a few good pictures. I better go check why this taking her so long!:wink:

Seriously: she and I tried taking pictures for about an hour last night. The wigglers swim in-between driftwood and plants, and it is difficult to get in focus. I hope to have something for you later today.

Janos

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
The pictures turned out somewhat disappointing. Here's what I got. The image on the top shows the male and the female, the picture at the bottom shows the female plus one single wiggler (above the center leaf at the bottom of the picture). This is my first attempt at uploading an image, so please don't be too critical.
SteatocranusspRedEyemaleandfemale.jpg

SteatocranusspRedEyefemaleandwiggle.jpg

By the way: There are more wigglers than I originally spotted. More and more start leaving their cave.

On a side note: I find the name "Red Eye" somewhat misleading. The red eye shows in its full intensity only if pics are taken with a flash. If I look at my fish with a naked eye, the fishes' iris is orange, at best.

Janos

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Congrats Janos. Please be sure to raise up a nice group of youngsters so I can get some! :biggrin: It's a very nice fish.

Try uploading your pics to www.photobucket.com (free site) and then just copy and past the code that starts with the img This will make for larger pictures when you post them.

Jeff

And I have plenty of P. pulcher Isokpo for you that will be ready to ship when it warms up.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Jeff, I used Photobucket for uploading the pics. I suppose I chose a size that was too small. Will re-do tomorrow.

You are always welcome to some Red Eyes. How's your pair doing?

Yes, I'd like to try the Isokpo again. Right now I've only one single male left and he lives in a rough neighborhood (tank with S. gibbiceps and their offspring).

Janos

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The pair I got from you and added to my single female did't fair well. One of the extra females got bumbed off in short order. The remaining pair was looking REALLY good-I had them in a 30 breeder tank by themselves. And then the female bloated up and died and I moved the male to a mixed Left-over" tank.

Jeff

jmtrops

5 Year Member
Jeff, do you have a pic of the P. pulcher Isokpo? And I sent you a couple of emails the last two weeks, did you get them?

Jim

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have some pics of the Isokpo that I need to resize and upload to photobucket. Soon hopefully :rolleyes:

I got the e-mails. I'll get back to you soon. Sorry for the delay.

Jeff

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Janos,

Have any pics of the gibbiceps? The ones I have turned out to be a form of casuarius. The light/dark pattern of each scale matched that of casuarius not gibbiceps.

Jeff

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Jeff:

My gibbiceps have the very same light/dark pattern on their scales as the fish depeicted in Anton's book. They were sold by Toyin as S. mpozoensis, but identified by Miguel Artigas as gibbiceps. One of the juveniles that I got from Toyin is depicted on Miguel's website (cichlidae.com). I will try to take a few pictures of the adults for posting here, but can't make any promises. These guys are very shy and spend almost the entire day in hiding. My F1 juvies might be a little easier to get a picture of.

Janos

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Janos,

Please save some for me! The "S. gibbiceps" that came through Toyin turned out to be a form of casuarius. A little different from the "normal" casuarius, possibly a different species, but they are NOT gibbiceps.

Jeff

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Jeff,

I wish we'd taken a closer look when you visited last summer. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind the fish turning out a species other than gibbiceps, but some of Miguel's friends seemed very certain the fish are gibbiceps. I have only one picture of the fish right now and that picture shows one of the (fairly young) fish that Toying sent me more than a year back.

I'll try to take pictures of the adults tonight.

You are most welcome to some of my juvies. I was going to put up some for sale on Aquabid anyways.

Steatocranusgibbicepsjuvenile.jpg

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Put me on the list

Janos,

Nice work with the Red Eyes. Put me on your list. I'd like to give them another shot. I got some from Toyin about the time you got yours and mine were doing well (had a nice big male) then they started to drop off one by one...
Steve

viejo

5 Year Member
Janos,

Please save some for me! The "S. gibbiceps" that came through Toyin turned out to be a form of casuarius. A little different from the "normal" casuarius, possibly a different species, but they are NOT gibbiceps.

Jeff

Are those the same as the cf's that I got from you?
Larry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….