• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing juvenile A. baenshi 'Inca 500'

JimmyTheFish

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I recently bought a "pair" of sub-adult/juvenile Apistogramma baenshi and was wondering how one sexes them? They are about half grown. One has a slightly gold colouration with pronounced barring. The other one is more of a steely blue/grey colouration and the barring is not nearly as pronounced. From the research I have done the first one appears to be the female and the latter the male, but I'm not sure if it is just dominant colouration showing through between the fish as the gold coloured one does appear to be the dominant fish. Any help/info or pics of juvenile A. baenshi would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi James,

Depends on big they are, if more than 1" in size then you should be able to sex them fairly easily. For me, the key differentiator at this size will be the ventral fins, with the female these should have a black edge, a colour marking that should be absent from the males fins.

I appreciate the pictures below are of adults, but it still clearly shows the difference between the sexes with the ventral fins.

Female:
apisto_baenschi_001.jpg

Male:
apisto_baenschi_002.jpg

Male (with female behind):
apisto_baenschi_003.jpg

Andrew

JimmyTheFish

5 Year Member
Here are some pics of my fish. I was finally able to get them to cooperate. Does this look like a pair? Based on the descriptions posted here I'm sure the second one is a female (she is also the dominant fish, and bullies the other one a little), I'm just not sure about the first one.

Male?
DSC07131.jpg

Pair? (Female in background)
DSC07139.jpg

Female
DSC07141.jpg

Cheers

James

peterK

5 Year Member
On the second and third picture I can see unquestionable female. But on the first... I'm 99% sure it's very young male.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….