• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

peruvian apisto ID and sexing

Greg A

Hi- first time posting here so hello

I recently acquired two apistogrammas, my first time keeping them. The species was not given only that one was male and the other female, I was told the female is the darker of the two. Two full days have passed now and the "female" has finally come out of hiding for me to get a good look ("she" is the lighter of the two in the photos).

From my searches I think they are ortegai, one the of varieties ("algodon II", pebas, any of the other names I've read they go by). I live in Peru and bought them from a guy who brings fish to Lima from the region so the location is known on that level. Can anyone help to positively ID them?

As far as the sex, after seeing them both out today I think they are both males. The more colorful male is definitely the dominant of the two and will pursue and bully the more drab apisto, which mostly hides under the leaf litter. Any thoughts here? Supposedly "she" was the darker of the two, perhaps she's lost her color due to moving stress and the territorial male.

He had a few others of the same species, then another yellow one with black marks that was supposedly another species. After reading, if these are ortegai, I now believe the others to all be male and the yellow one to be the female. Or is it possible he had one brooding female and also a mix of males and females that were not ready to spawn?

At any rate I think I will have to separate these two, any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks and hello again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.47.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.47.07 PM.png
    944.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.46.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.46.35 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.47.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.47.59 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66

Greg A

Thank a bunch for the tips, A. eunotus hadn't come up in my search and can see the resemblance. At least knowing they are males and seeing their behavior I know they need to be separated. Still thinking the yellow one the guy still has is the corresponding female, will try to see if I can swap one out for her.

Greg A

Sharing a quick update, I was able to swap one of the males out a couple of days after posting here. Didn't see the original fish that I first saw showing yellow colors but picked one that was much smaller and seemed to have the right qualities. In less than a week she started to color up and is now definitely showing a strong yellow.

Everyone is much happier and less aggression happening in the tank, I even saw the female flapping her tail at the male this morning in front of a little cave she made between the sand and one of the rocks. We'll see if any spawning occurs, will update if so...

Still not 100% sure but leaning much more towards A. eunotus after comparing the female to other pictures. Thanks for the tips!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 8.16.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 8.16.58 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 8.17.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 8.17.12 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 37

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Still not 100% sure but leaning much more towards A. eunotus after comparing the female to other pictures. Thanks for the tips!
I wonder how you distinguish females of A. eunotus from those of A. sp. Yasuni? A. sp. Yasuni is an eunotus-subcomplex species and thus closely related to A. eunotus. Females of such closely related species are usually very hard to distinguish - if possible at all. I would suggest to look at the males. In contrast to the A. (cf.) eunotus forms, Yasuni males show a very pronounced red/orange eye-ring, just like your male. The caudal pattern of your male also fits to Yasuni.

Greg A

As I say I am still not sure...none of the pictures I've been able to find have provided a total affirmation. Many photos of A. eunotus show similar characteristics, and I haven't been able to find any decent photos of A. sp. Yasuni.

As I mentioned these are the first apistogrammas I have had, definitely not experienced trying to ID species. If you have any photos of A. sp. Yasuni that might help provide a positive ID I would love to see them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….