• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female/Male Agassizii?

TT088

Apologies as I note this is a frequently asked question and difficult with this domestic colour morph, is anyone able to help me sex this agassizii fire gold.

I have a definite male in a separate tank, however I am unsure on the fish in question (pictures below). Cannot tell if it is a female or juvenile male.

For reference it is around 4 - 4.5cm. Currently being kept in a separate tank to my male, just with some small tetras where it has now been for a few months, I was hoping that I would be able to ID it by now but still struggling. Unsure about age, however I purchased the fish in December 2023 from LFS and it has grown slightly however the male I purchased earlier in 2023 grew very quickly in comparison (not sure if this is relevant/helpful).

I appreciate that this may be a case of waiting and watching development, but if anyone is able to shed any light it would be great, thanks. (Photos attached).

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 30
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 24
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 31
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 30

TT088

From the shape of the fish, its age and size, I would expect it to be a female. But you know the problem with color-enhanced domestic strains.
Hi Mike, thanks for your view on this a few of weeks ago. I just added the fish in with my male a couple of days ago and found it in a cave today with a batch of eggs, so it was in fact female.

Thought that I would give an update as it may help others with a similar issue with these domestic colour morphs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….