• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or Female Hongsloi?

ue222

Hello again,

I recently got two Hongsloi. Posted asking if the smaller was a M or F and was advised 100% male. I brought him back and got a new supposed female Hongsloi, after 1 week of the new one settling in am posting asking if this time I actually got a female.
Behavior of the pair is completely different between them now as compared to prior when I had a juvenile/sneaker male. Bigger one seems to be showing off to new smaller one instead of just chasing like it was with the previous smaller one.

Here is a few pictures of the smaller one over the course of the last few days I want to know if it is female. Thank you!

IMG_8516.jpeg
IMG_8562.jpeg
IMG_8727.jpeg
IMG_8737.jpeg
IMG_8801.jpeg
IMG_8210.jpeg
IMG_8251.jpeg

ue222

Mac very well could be right. Based on the size of the N. marginatus (even if fully grown) the apisto is too young/small to sex confidently.
Would there be any way for me to be sure based on behavior with the bigger one or no

anewbie

I had a female that most thought was a male until she laid eggs. To be honest she was very large but slightly more slender than the male and she was pretty bossy like a male but one day she laid eggs.... If you search this forum you can find my post and people thoughts on her.

ue222

Ok thanks so much for the replies. Probably just going to take the smaller one back (again), and let the big male have the tank for the time being while I decide if I just want to keep him with some more pencils or if I want to go through the trouble of exchanging for agassizii to try and get m and f of them. Thanks!

ue222

So these black stripes don’t mean anything when this size? It also look like smaller just submitted to big male and they are now in that cave together shortly after she started displaying these black marks.

Went in for a few minutes, back out, then more submission type posturing from the smaller one and then smaller one led the bigger one back to this cave and they are just in there for at least 10 minutes now.

Attachments

• IMG_9301.jpeg
    IMG_9301.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
The yellow/wasp coloration is breeding dress. That’s a female.

If you see the female tilting to the side around the male, that’s a good sign for breeding activity.

ue222

The yellow/wasp coloration is breeding dress. That’s a female.

If you see the female tilting to the side around the male, that’s a good sign for breeding activity.
I think I did! Will have to grab a picture to post.

ue222

Sorry for the awful pictures using my phone. This was right before she led him to the cave for the first time and the black marks became more pronounced. Don’t want to jinx it but I guess it seems good.

Attachments

• IMG_9345.jpeg
    IMG_9345.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1705968483264.jpeg
    1705968483264.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 24

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….