• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Request - Apistogramma Identification

SawaX

Good morning everyone!

About a year ago, I bought 3x small Apistogramma (marked by the shop) as Viejita. Unfortunately, because of parasites, two of them died. The one that left, got bigger during the year and now It's quite a piece of fish... On the Facebook group, they identify one as Female Apistogramma Macmasteri. So ok, I bought a couple of days ago a nice Male Apistogramma Macmasteri to make a pair.

Could you identify my fish and explain to me the difference between Macmasteri and Viejita? As for pictures on the internet, they look very similar to me.

The first 3x pictures contain old fish, and the 4th one - new fish.

Moreover, when I add a new fish to the tank, the old fish follows the new one everywhere and shakes her tail as you can see in the last .gif file... Have you seen such a behavior before?

1708070628798.png
1708070649461.png
1708070661898.png

1708070682161.png

Attachments

• ezgif-4-4efee91432.gif
    ezgif-4-4efee91432.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 28

MacZ

Could you identify my fish and explain to me the difference between Macmasteri and Viejita? As for pictures on the internet, they look very similar to me.
Domestic A. macmasteri are often sold as A. viejita. This has gone as far as the wikipedia page for A. viejita just showing domestic A. macmasteri and many people have never seen a true A. viejita.
Simple as that. In any case: Your fish are domestic A. macmasteri. Nothing to be unsure about that.

This will be interesting to you, Frank posted a short comparison list.

As will be this, the IDs on Toms Homepage are correct.
Species Profile on Tom's Homepage

SawaX

Domestic A. macmasteri are often sold as A. viejita. This has gone as far as the wikipedia page for A. viejita just showing domestic A. macmasteri and many people have never seen a true A. viejita.
Simple as that. In any case: Your fish are domestic A. macmasteri. Nothing to be unsure about that.
thx!
This will be interesting to you, Frank posted a short comparison list.

As will be this, the IDs on Toms Homepage are correct.
Species Profile on Tom's Homepage
I will dive into those pages. Tom's Homepage looks like the true database of Apistrogramma species. Thx

Could you also comment behaviour of de female? The male is trying to escape from the female all the time (well, could be slightly stressed after changing environment) but the female is following him in every spot.

MacZ

Tom's Homepage looks like the true database of Apistrogramma species.
It is. Most comprehensive available without a paywall. Tom and several contributors are active here on the forum.

Could you also comment behaviour of de female? The male is trying to escape from the female all the time (well, could be slightly stressed after changing environment) but the female is following him in every spot.
She either wants to breed (the yellow colouration is a clear sign) or she sees him as an intruder as she was able to establish territory before you added him. This is also a possibility as she is quite big, but unlikely in my opinion..
So yeah, typical breeding display from my point of view.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mac is right; 2 possibilities. I imagine, if you added the male without re-arranging the decor, that the female considers the entire tank her territory and that the male is not (yet) a suitable breeding partner. If the problem doesn't resolve itself then I would re-arrange the decor to allow both to establish separate territories and allow the male to grow a bit more.

SawaX

Mac is right; 2 possibilities. I imagine, if you added the male without re-arranging the decor, that the female considers the entire tank her territory and that the male is not (yet) a suitable breeding partner. If the problem doesn't resolve itself then I would re-arrange the decor to allow both to establish separate territories and allow the male to grow a bit more.
Thx for the advice :) It was quite a challenge to find an adult male in my neighborhood, most of the time they were half of his size.

The tank is quite big (350L) so maybe they will establish their territory as it is. Otherwise, I will re-arrange it. I will observe them for a couple of days...

Today Female spend a lot of time in a sort of cave on one side of the tank, male on the opposite side. Female appear on feeding time more colorful than usual :)

Anyway, thx for help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….