• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis taeniatus with killifish

emoore3

5 Year Member
Hello,

I currently have a 29 gallon with 4 cory cats and 4 Aphyosemion australe killifish. I was looking at adding a dwarf cichlid to the mix. I read that some Pelvicachromis taeniatus come from the same waters as the Aphyosemion australe. Do you think I would be able to have a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus with the killifish? Thanks.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
When the P. taeniatus get into a spawning mood they will go after the killies a bit. They likely will not kill them, but fins will get torn. I would go with a Nanachromis species with killies if I did not want the fins ripped up.

emoore3

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions tjudy. My 29 gallon is heavily planted. Do the Nanachromis species dig? Also any other suggestions for dwarf cichlids with the killies? How about some of the apistogramma species? Thanks.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nanochromis dig about as much as Pelvicachromis do, but are smaller so disrupt gravel less. Apistos can be very aggressive when they are breeding... probably more so than Pelvicachromis. Bright colors will attract them as well. Dicrossus sp. or Nannacara sp. cichlids might be a good choice for you.

cdawson

5 Year Member
emoore3 said:
Hello,

I currently have a 29 gallon with 4 cory cats and 4 Aphyosemion australe killifish. I was looking at adding a dwarf cichlid to the mix. I read that some Pelvicachromis taeniatus come from the same waters as the Aphyosemion australe. Do you think I would be able to have a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus with the killifish? Thanks.

As long as you give the killies adequate cover on the top of the tank, like some water lettuce or salvinia they should be fine.
I keep a pair of A. Striatum with my Moliwe pair in a 15g and they've even produced 4 young!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fish Gramma

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(