• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis splendens

ChillOut29

Hi. I’m new to this hobby. I currently have a pair of d18 in my 29 gallon. ( 5 baby cory and a bristlenose). I just came across these beautiful fish named Nanochromis splendens. So my question is, is it possible for me to put a pair of these together with the d18 in the same tank?

Attachments

• IMG_3830.jpeg
    IMG_3830.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3803.jpeg
    IMG_3803.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 35

ChillOut29

Hi. I’m new to this hobby. I currently have a pair of d18 in my 29 gallon. ( 5 baby cory and a bristlenose). I just came across these beautiful fish named Nanochromis splendens. So my question is, is it possible for me to put a pair of these together with the d18 in the same tank?

MacZ

Not in tjat tank size. Nanochromis are much smaller than your Apistogramma and they inhabit the same niche. Probably going to end lethal for the smaller fish.

MacZ

If you have a second tank that you can move one to any time, give it a try. if not a 80-100cm tank would be advisable.

anewbie

There is a secondary issue that Nanochromis splendens is a west african fish so the signals between a sa fish will be lost or mis-understood. I.e, even in a larger tank you risk unnecessary conflict between the two species since they can't use display attributes to warn of aggression.

ChillOut29

There is a secondary issue that Nanochromis splendens is a west african fish so the signals between a sa fish will be lost or mis-understood. I.e, even in a larger tank you risk unnecessary conflict between the two species since they can't use display attributes to warn of aggression.
Can i just buy a 10 gallon and breed the nanochromis there?

ChillOut29

hi,

if you don't have the capacity to even keep them, why would you breed them?
Actually i do Have a 29 gallon. But i got a nice deal on a pair. And they r really smale. So i was just curious if i can put these pair with my apisto pair. No need to be rude here. Thanks

ChillOut29

If you have a second tank that you can move one to any time, give it a try. if not a 80-100cm tank would be advisable.
Thanks. I would definitely try this 1. Instead of putting them with apistos, I’d just get a small wide tank for them

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Actually i do Have a 29 gallon. But i got a nice deal on a pair. And they r really smale. So i was just curious if i can put these pair with my apisto pair. No need to be rude here.
We honestly aren't being rude, we have you, and your fishes, best interests at heart.

I'm not a very good fish-keeper personally, but many members of this forum are.

I'm not trying to be funny or confrontational, but this isn't like FB where everyone's opinion is "valid" and whoever shouts loudest "wins". If some-one posts in your thread, it isn't to get their post count up etc, it is to offer you some advice. You aren't obliged to take that advice, but I would recommend you do.
I’m new to this hobby. I currently have a pair of d18 in my 29 gallon. ( 5 baby cory and a bristlenose). I just came across these beautiful fish named Nanochromis splendens. So my question is, is it possible for me to put a pair of these together with the d18 in the same tank?
OK.
  • So you can't keep the Nanochromis with Apistogramma pair and
  • Corydoras, Ancistrus and Apistogramma is not a good mix.
  • Corydoras don't pick up behaviour signals from Apistogramma and if she has free-swimming fry she will attempt to disable them by attacking. Because Corydoras are armoured this often leads to eye plucking etc.
  • The Ancistrus wants a cave for the day and will dispossess your female Apistogramma if she tries to spawn and whatever happens it will eventually barge into the cave eat the eggs. It is also likely to beat up your cichlids during the night when it is active and they are sleeping.
In general terms I'd have a look at: <"https://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/worried-about-my-dude.25070/#post-122212">.

cheers Darrel

ChillOut29

Hi all,

We honestly aren't being rude, we have you, and your fishes, best interests at heart.

I'm not a very good fish-keeper personally, but many members of this forum are.

I'm not trying to be funny or confrontational, but this isn't like FB where everyone's opinion is "valid" and whoever shouts loudest "wins". If some-one posts in your thread, it isn't to get their post count up etc, it is to offer you some advice. You aren't obliged to take that advice, but I would recommend you do.

OK.
  • So you can't keep the Nanochromis with Apistogramma pair and
  • Corydoras, Ancistrus and Apistogramma is not a good mix.
  • Corydoras don't pick up behaviour signals from Apistogramma and if she has free-swimming fry she will attempt to disable them by attacking. Because Corydoras are armoured this often leads to eye plucking etc.
  • The Ancistrus wants a cave for the day and will dispossess your female Apistogramma if she tries to spawn and whatever happens it will eventually barge into the cave eat the eggs. It is also likely to beat up your cichlids during the night when it is active and they are sleeping.
In general terms I'd have a look at: <"https://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/worried-about-my-dude.25070/#post-122212">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you so much. Really appreciate your work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….