• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing A. Cacatuoid Fry

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I have 2 batches of fry about 3 weeks apart in age. The youngest ones being about 3 weeks old (they are in a 7 gallon tank with mom) and the older ones, 6 weeks old, are in a 10 gallon bare bottom with a dwarf bristlenose pleco, some plants and driftwood. When could I put the young fry in with the older ones without having to worry about loosing some?

scott

5 Year Member
i have a 50g grow out with 4 different batches of cac fry the oldest are about 6 weeks older than the youngest. there are close to 300 fish in there and i havent't seen any problems. i usually put fry into the growout with older fry when the younger ones are big enough to eat daphnia instead of bbs.

G

Gary W.

mixing A.Cacatoid fry

Hi C-Junkie

I too mix cac. fry in a 30 gal. grow out . In my case I also mix O.Flash,trip. reds
doub. reds and a yellow cacs. I change 5 gallons every day with no problems.
Tank has about 100 fry as of now. I keep what I need for breeding,and I then trade the rest to my lfs for supplys and give some to friends.

good luck......... Gary

Red Baron

5 Year Member
I have house before different batches of young apisto. Rotpunkts , Inkas , Nijssenis , Wilhelmis , Steindachneris and Caca`s in 8 gallons before . They are fine so you do not have to worry .

They were kept in bare botom tanks with just some Java moss and 2 Ottos . filtraton was just a simple small sponge fliter . With regular water changes of twice weekly .

Tell you old chap no worries there .

Cheers

Apistt_ed

as long as the new ones can't fit in the mouths of the older ones, I'd say it's safe to do so. I feed mine live foods (vinegar eels, brine, CBWs) and they WILL eat their own if their mouths are capable! I learned it the hard way with my alanquer aggies and never did it again. your's are very close in age to each other, so I wouldn't worry. good luck catching them! john

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cole

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….