• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry With Lots Of Leaf Litter

xSparkleZ

Years ago, I used to keep a single layer of leaves in the breeding tank.
Typically, I left the fry with their mother for two weeks before taking them out to their own bare bottom grow out tank.
I found that they grew healthier and faster when left with their mother.

This time around, my pair decided to spawn in my display tank which has many layers of leaf litter.
I'm worried that she will lose the fry in the crevices between the layers during the first two weeks.

Anyone else run into issues where the mother lost track of them in the decor?

I'm torn if I should just leave them there for two weeks or prematurely take them out.

Apistoguy52

You’re more committed than I. Similar breeding strategy, lots of leaves at times. I take the slightly lazier approach. Fry stay with the folks until they lose interest. Fry stay in the tank, parents get moved.

I wouldn’t worry. She’ll keep them rounded up, or they’ll be safely hiding amongst the decor.

xSparkleZ

First spawn after many years away from the hobby has definetly made me nervous.

I guess I will just have to trust the process for a while.

MacZ

Leave them with the parents. Also I'd like to remind you of the mantra of Mike Wise: A display tank is not a breeding tank.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
I wouldn’t worry about the depth of the leaflitter either. I’m sure mother fish got it covered. Plus the fry can surely find something to eat there.
You should only opt your own patience level, for when you need to catch the little buggers again:)

-r

xSparkleZ

Leave them with the parents. Also I'd like to remind you of the mantra of Mike Wise: A display tank is not a breeding tank.
Definetly read his mantra many times on other posts. Haha.

Shouldn't of left the pair together that long in the display tank though - even though the display tank has just the male in there usually.

xSparkleZ

I wouldn’t worry about the depth of the leaflitter either. I’m sure mother fish got it covered. Plus the fry can surely find something to eat there.
You should only opt your own patience level, for when you need to catch the little buggers again:)

-r
Oh.
The joys of catching them is the best part! ;)

MacZ

And about leaf litter... see for yourself. :)

photo_2023-12-16_18-27-27.jpg photo_2023-12-16_18-27-16.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….