1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male apistogramma health

Discussion in 'Apistogramma' started by Clancey Fritsch, Sep 12, 2019 at 4:39 PM.

1. Clancey Fritsch

Clancey Fritsch New Member

Hi guys I posted a post about how my apistogramma agassizii double red "passed away" (https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/apistogramma-male-death.23414/#post-109036) turns out he is alive and not doing well. I have no idea what to do from here. It appears he is blind. Pleas let me know what to do. I will be doing a water change and adding melafix. Any recommendations would be very appreciated (temp, medicine) thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. Bobblehead27

Bobblehead27 Member

https://www.thesprucepets.com/pop-eye-symptoms-and-cure-1379917
  3. Clancey Fritsch

Bobblehead27 likes this.
  4. Bobblehead27

Bobblehead27 Member

Yes it will definitely hurt the cichlid. This is when a quarantine tank comes in handy.
  5. Bobblehead27

Bobblehead27 Member

I would say up the water changes in both frequency and quantity, and then try some broad spectrum antibiotics like kanamycin, triplesulfa, furan2, Minocycline, erythromycin, or ampicillin.
  6. Clancey Fritsch

Ok will try and get my hands on those. So far the swelling has gone down a bit. The right eye still looks cloudy and seems as if he will become blind in that eye. Really makes me sad because he is a very good looking fish
    Bobblehead27 likes this.
  7. Bobblehead27

Bobblehead27 Member

I'm glad he's still alive.