• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male apistogramma health

Clancey Fritsch

Hi guys I posted a post about how my apistogramma agassizii double red "passed away" (https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/apistogramma-male-death.23414/#post-109036) turns out he is alive and not doing well. I have no idea what to do from here. It appears he is blind. Pleas let me know what to do. I will be doing a water change and adding melafix. Any recommendations would be very appreciated (temp, medicine) thanks guys!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1486126024.jpg
    Snapchat-1486126024.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 355

Bobblehead27

Hi guys I posted a post about how my apistogramma agassizii double red "passed away" (https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/apistogramma-male-death.23414/#post-109036) turns out he is alive and not doing well. I have no idea what to do from here. It appears he is blind. Pleas let me know what to do. I will be doing a water change and adding melafix. Any recommendations would be very appreciated (temp, medicine) thanks guys!

https://www.thesprucepets.com/pop-eye-symptoms-and-cure-1379917

Bobblehead27

I would say up the water changes in both frequency and quantity, and then try some broad spectrum antibiotics like kanamycin, triplesulfa, furan2, Minocycline, erythromycin, or ampicillin.

Clancey Fritsch

I would say up the water changes in both frequency and quantity, and then try some broad spectrum antibiotics like kanamycin, triplesulfa, furan2, Minocycline, erythromycin, or ampicillin.
Ok will try and get my hands on those. So far the swelling has gone down a bit. The right eye still looks cloudy and seems as if he will become blind in that eye. Really makes me sad because he is a very good looking fish

allentwnguy

I've had similar issues with my very first Apistos years ago. Cacatuoides Triples. I purchased 2 pair, 1DOA and was left with a female and 2 males. The eventual dominant male had the sub male contained in a clay flower pot breeding cave and wouldn't let him out and when he did come out he was chased back in. I set up a 10 gal for him and moved him. He was so stressed he got severely ill. Fungus all over his eyes etc. I treated with broad spectrum antibiotics and water changes. He came around but was blind. I kept him for years. He knew his surroundings in the tank and knew the "sound" of the tank lid sliding back for feeding. When I feed my fish blood worms or bbs I use pipettes. He knew to expect food and gobble what came his way and later would sense the food on the bottom, swim backwards and the movement would raise the food off the bottom and he would be able to grab it. He was a trip and I hope he had a decent life. I know he was a fish but... A blind fish can still be kept if yo have a mind to do it. But I will say I got more attached to him than any of my 400 some odd fish/shrimp and it hurt when he went.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….