• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first ever Apistogramma!

anewbie

It is fun to watch mom and the frys - esp when mom starts telling frys what to do - if the frys scatter too much she will signal for them to come back or group up - and heard them around et all. For the species i had the frys were also very comfortable with Dad and if mom was busy they would run to dad to feel safer.

Bakejullock

My fry turn 1 month old today!

The remaining fry seem healthy and happy. The growth rates are inconsistent, with a handful being much larger than some of the others. I assume this is partly due to my less than consistent feeding schedule, and perhaps because I am feeding into a 10 gallon planted tank instead of a smaller fry box where I can assure everyone eats. Due to work and life I am only able to feed bbs twice a day, with a day or two a week being only once a day. I do my best to ensure everyone has full orange bellies but I can only do so much. Something to work on in the future.

My best guess is about 25-30 remain. Quite a loss from the 60-80 I started with. Is there a “standard” survival rate with Cockatoo’s that I should strive for going forward or did nature just take it’s course and it’s not as bad as I feel? Over the weeks I did discover 2-3 dead fry in the tank. Other than that, I am wondering if Mom started eating them without me noticing. She has been moved out to relax in a 29 gallon.

Having a lot of fun taking care of these guys and watching them grow up. The largest is over a mm long and appears confident and in charge. Excited to see as they start to mature and gain more color.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

IMG_2065.jpeg

Andrew H

Very cool! When they start displaying to each other (if they haven’t already) it’s pretty funny / fun to watch. Seems like practice (though eventually not).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….