• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry/water quality Question

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
Hi All

I have read that under certain water chemical levels eggs fish wont breed or if they do the eggs wont hatch. Im generally referring to pH and kH/gH as I understand the problems of Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

My question in a nutshell is.... If eggs hatch and fry make it to free swimming stage, does this suggest that whatever the water values, they are suitable for that fish to grow up.

Eg If my apisto breeds, eggs hatch and fry become free swimming in a ph of 7 and their natural ph is 4.5 is it likely that I would be able to raise the fry.(just a hypothetical).

Adam

Chris(wildcaught!)

5 Year Member
I would say yes.

If they spawn and the eggs hatch then the water parameters is ok, then i see no problem with raising fry.

But on the other hand, maybe not optimal conditions. I think that at least pH and temp have influence on the life expectancy and also the gender of the offsping is influenced by pH and temp, so you might end up with large majority males or females.

Just my two cents of knowledge

Regards / Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….