• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fry and plant debris

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I have 3 families of borellii fry in a 30 gallon tank that has a large piece of driftwood and many plants. Since the fry started hatching out, about 12 days ago, I haven't vacuumed that tank so I don't trap any fry. I have some foxtail that has shed a lot of it's older growth in these past 12 days, leaving a few piles of plant debris.

Is this plant debris a health risk to the fry? Or is it just natural litter? I don't just vacuum it, because it's where most of the fry like to hang out. Perhaps they're eating infusoria? Maybe it's benefical to some extent?

I have made a couple water changes of about a third during this time, so the tank is otherwise very clean. Crystal clear water with a slight tan tint due to oak leaves and driftwood. All occupants are healthy and active.

Thanks,
Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
Just change water, don't worry about the debris right now. When the fry get bigger and move out just pluck the debris out.

aspen

5 Year Member
michael, a mistake i made when i had cacatuoides fry in a planted tank was to vacuum out the plant debris or mulm from the corners and from under the plants. this is a natural food source for the tiniest fry and provides cover. it is also almost impossible to sort the fry from the debris in the bucket. as matt suggests, wait a week or so till the fry move in a nice cloud and you can get their food to them more easily and the fry are bigger.

give them some bbs when they are 5 days free swimming and have lost their egg sack.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….