• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarves in small communities???

E

ErisKSC

Hi

I'm new to the forum but have kept a few dwarves before, i do keep and breed a variety of cichlids though as well as Australian natives.

My question is about Apistos in community tanks, what are some suitable tank mates, such as Corydora catfish, neon/cardinal tetras? I'm just not sure what i can put with a them in a 50-60 litre tank.

I'm looking at getting a pair/trio of Apisto, probably something a little bit bullet-proof to start with.

My main concern is that corys would enrage the dwarves.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Dwarf or not, cichlids are cichlids. They are territorial by nature. In smaller tanks like yours they can easily claim the entire bottom. In such set-ups it is best to not have other bottom dwelling fish. Fish that swim in the mid & upper levels are usually ignored - unless the approach too close to their fry. Many popular tetras are consumate fry predators - especially when they attack in groups. If you are interested in a community tank & not interested in producing a lot of fry, then most small mid to upper level fish will be fine. If you are interested in producing numbers of fry, then pencilfish, hatchetfish, & similar surface feeding species are the best species to keep in the tank with breeders.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….