• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma & Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi in 75G Together

datemike

- Replacing the pleco you could choose small Loricarids of the twig or lizard groups e.g. Rhineloricaria. Also possible: Otothyropsis or Parotocinclus haroldoi. But not Otocinclus proper. (Because of the temperature.)
The more time I've had to think about it, I've decided to replace the Kuhli and try to stock only South American species.

Would I be overstocking the 75g long with the following?
x2 Red Lizard Whiptail Catfish
x3 Apisto. Ortegai (males)
x20 Red Beckford's Pencilfish
x20 Red Eye Tetra

MacZ

Bioload would be fine, but the space requirements may be a bit overstretched. I'd reduvce the tetras and pencilfish to 10. You can always stock up, but removal is just stress.

datemike

Bioload would be fine, but the space requirements may be a bit overstretched. I'd reduvce the tetras and pencilfish to 10. You can always stock up, but removal is just stress.
that's very reasonable, i'll start small and avoid myself the hassle of having to deal with too many fish at once. thank you.

MacZ

I'd add them in batches with 1-2 weeks in between anyway.
Except the Apistogramma, they have to be added at once.

datemike

Mac means, "except the Apistogramma, they have to be added all at one time", but not as the first fish in the tank. (The curse of English as a second language. A native speaker knows what he meant but it can be confusing if translated into another language.)
english can be silly.

i'll be following my stocking plan with adding the 3 male apisto all together at the same time. i was planning to have the apistos be the last fish that go in the tank and only after the other fish have had a few weeks in the tank and have not shown any issues. i'll also have a 25g set up with a divider in case anyone has to be removed.

going to start with
x10 red eye tetra
x10 beckford pencilfish
x2 red lizard whiptail

then after a few weeks pass and i've found some locally, i'll get the 3 male apistogramma and introduce them.
if i were to introduce the 3 male apistos before introducing the other fish to the tank i was worried there would be potential for extra aggression against the newcomers. or is that not the case?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….