• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused Apisto species

angel_saza

5 Year Member
I got three new fish today. They were ordered from the supplier as A. agassizi double reds, but they all look completely different compared to my original agassizi.

One is quite plain with no colour and a black lateral band, whom i am assuming is a female. Another one's tail has a red edge, but is showing a blue tinge on the body and a pale patch of yellow on the end of the dorsal fin. The last is similar, but has black caudal fins, which extends onto its body. He kind of reminds me of a panda. I'm assuming these last two are males. I though they'd have the brains to see 3 of the same species ordered and give me 2 females and 1 male.

P5270155.jpg

On the left is my suspected female, in the middle is the blue male and on the right is 'panda'.

P5270159.jpg

On the left is the female, in the middle is 'panda' and on the right in the blue male.

Another forum has suggested that i have a A. panduro pair and a female A. cacatuoides... i reckon they're right with the panduros. Stupid fish wholesaler. It's funny because they're one of the largest in Australia. You'd expect them to know their fish!!

I have just discovered this forum and i'm quite excited as i'm just getting into these awsome little fish!!

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think you've a male and female Panduro along with a female of another species. To be honest I'm not totally sure what that one is from the pic you posted but it looks a little elongated to be a cac to me and I think it might be an agasizzi. If you have any clearer pics of her then that would help.

angel_saza

5 Year Member
This is the only other photo i got of her in the fish bag before i let her out. She's found a really good hiding place in my tank because i can't see her anywhere at the moment.

If she is an agassizi, hopefully i won't get too many problems having a pair each of panduro and agassizi.

P5270156.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Ed - a pair of A. panduro and another female. She might be either A. agassizii or A. bitaeniata, but I can't say for certain from the pictures.

angel_saza

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike, i'll give the mystery female some time to mature and then we may know what she is. She's probably an agassizi, as that is what she was ordered as. Although, i can't see how anybody can get confused between panduros and agassizis :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My guess is that your supplier got in some wild A. panduro. Wild fish shipments often have some odd contaminants. I wouldn't be surprised if aggies, bitaeniatas and other species got mixed in. A netter at the the supplier probably saw the red on the panduro tails and mistook them for red aggies.

angel_saza

5 Year Member
Not sure where the mystery fish has got too... i cant seem to see it in my tank. I'll give it a few days to settle in and if it hasnt come out by then i'll have to investigate. If it's died, then they'll be no trace because i'm sure my 3 bristlenose cats and 2 whiptails would clean it up in no time.
They're all about 3-4cm long.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

I agree with Hudson, too.
I'm pretty sure, that it is A. bitaeniata, but pretty unsure, that "she" is a female. Could also be a young male.

regards,
Rolo

Hassles

5 Year Member
For What Its Worth

At the moment both the wild caught A.panduro and the A.bitaeniata are available here (Australia) which may lend some weight to the suggestions offered below. I expect both to be at my LFS tomorrow. European bred A.trifasciata is among others currently available along with German bred borellii (Opal)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….