• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Checkerboard eggs hatched!

Orchid

5 Year Member
OK, this morning I took a look to see how the eggs of the checkerboards were doing and they were gone. Since I'm not sure how long the eggs incubate I figured they could have fungussed or she knew they were infertile so she ate them. But I looked a bit closer and there is what looks like egg shells were the eggs were. It reminds me of empty catepeller eggs, broken open shells. I don't know what happened to the babies, the tank isn't set up for them. But she is hanging out behind a peice of driftwood so maybe she stashed them there. Since I know my water is good enough to cause the checkerboards to spawn and I am almost possitive they have hatched, I am definately setting up another tank for them! :D

Neil

Sounds like they have hatched to me. From what you say, you probably have a batch of filamentosa behind the driftwood. If this is the case, it is like that they will be moved around some before they are actually free-swimming. Have you gotten a look at them yet.
If they become free-swimming, you will need to get some very small food to them quickly. BBS will not be adequate to insure the survival of most of the fry.
Give us an update. It would be great if you had a little school of these beautiful fish swimming around in your tank!
Neil

Orchid

5 Year Member
I haven't seen any little fish yet, and the mother is no longer territorial around the driftwood. I suspect that the poor little fish were gobbled. I am in the middle of setting up a breeding tank for the checkerboards. I know that they are harem spawners, but should I put in both the adult and the juvy male in there as a stimulant? My inclination is to leave the juvy male in the main tank. Should the breeder tank have dithers? If so, who would be the best ones? It is a 20 gal tank.

I have ordered some Luquifry 1 for any babies they may have.

Neil

Orchid,
Shame :( . I would probably keep a few target or dither fish in with them in the new tank. That is what they had in the original tank and spawned, so I would just deal with the soft, acidic issues in the new tank and leave the rest alone. Whether you use a conspecific as a target or not is up to you. I have had good results with that. Dithers may be all that are necessary. Good luck and keep us posted.
Neil

Orchid

5 Year Member
Well, the plants arrived today...but the filter, heater, and DuplaG substrate additive have yet to arrive. OOOPS :oops:.

Good thing I have a big tank to float all the new plants in, the checkerboards have already picked through them and have pulled off some goodies :). What lovely fish they are. The adult male frequently "fluffs" up and looks so spiffy, especially with the side lighting on my tank. I would love to have a tank full of these little darlings. The trick, if I can raise them, is to not get attached to them. :cry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….