• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blue cacatuoides

Melanochromis

I had a chance to take pictures of one of the prettiest wild cacatuoides I have ever seen. The fish came in a batch labelled as Apistogramma cacatuoides "Rio Nanay" but this particular male was the only one with prominently blue coloration. The other males were mostly yellowish.

The fish was kept at a shop in Bangkok called "BeeSmile". The shop owner decided she would keep it for show and not sell it, which disappointed many of us greatly. Imagine going to a shop and see a very pretty cacatuoides but find out it's not for sale :(

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics!

BeeSm01.jpg

BeeSm03.jpg

BeeSm07.jpg

BeeSm02.jpg

Melanochromis

Hi bseitz234. All the tanks in this shop are like this. They also sell aquatic plants and substrates, so I guess it's important for them to set up the tanks this way.

This pair have actually bred. But I was told the first batch of fry showed some deformities. I don't know why. The pair is raising another spawn now. Hopefully, this one will grow up fine.

Melanochromis

Hi Mike. I'm interested in that too. None of the females in this batch showed any hint of blue coloration. So, I suggested the shop to try to breed the male with several females and keep record in order to find a female that carries the blue genes. Unfortunately, they couldn't keep all the females. They sold all but the one in the picture. We can only hope this one does carry the blue trait.

Melanochromis

For comparison, let me show you another male that came in the same "Rio Nanay" batch. This one, just like all other males except the lone blue fish in my first post, are quite yellowish. To be fair, there is some bluish tint but at a much less degree in comparison.

BeeSm08.jpg

bseitz234

This one looks- to my eye, at least- to be a much younger male. Note how much shorter the extensions are on his dorsal and caudal fins. He's certainly yellow now, but who knows what another couple months will bring... Still a very attractive fish

Melanochromis

One possibility is to breed the blue father to one of his daughters. The daughter will have at least 1/2 of his blue genes.

That sounds like a good strategy. Producing several generations of fish may sound like a long-term project for the shop, but I hope that they will be willing to do it to get more beautiful blue cacatuoides.

This one looks- to my eye, at least- to be a much younger male. Note how much shorter the extensions are on his dorsal and caudal fins. He's certainly yellow now, but who knows what another couple months will bring... Still a very attractive fish

Unfortunately, the person who bought this male reported that he had died. So, we'll never get to know how this one would look like when he's fully mature. This batch of wild cacatuoides (4 males and 4 females if I remember correctly) is dying out for various reasons. The blue one and his female are still alive and breeding, but I'm not sure the others are doing well.

Melanochromis

Oh wow what a beauty...i've never seen the blue ones here.

Greetz
Rebi

It was my first time to see a cacatuoides this blue too :)

beautiful fish, would this shop be in chutachat park (i will be visiting thailand in December)

Hi Jerry. It is in the Chatuchak area. Specifically, it's next to JJ Mall. You still have the map I sent you? BeeSmile is one of the shops in that map.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….