• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp. Miua - male or female?

Melanochromis

It was sold to me as a female Apistogramma sp. Miua.
The other fish in this pair was very obviously male.
Is this one really a female or a male? Appreciate any help :)

IMG_0909s.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I must say it is a confusing fish, if A. sp. Miuá. Females never show such a strong pattern of spots in the caudal fin. Males will always show dark and light bands in the anal fin that run parallel to the rays. It may be an immature male Miuá, but more likely some other species. I cannot say for certain from this 1 photo.

Melanochromis

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even Miua but a totally different species (this fish did remind me of paucisquamis when I put it in my tank). I don't trust this particular dealer at all. Last time he sold two male rositae as a pair when they were obviously, well, male.

Thanks a lot for your opinion, I'll probably wait for the fish to grow a little more and try to take more photos/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….