• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I don't know

Pellegrino

I have a trio of orange Flash cockatrice first time I think they spawned the female was in and out of the flower pot but nothing happened that was about 3 weeks ago I added almond leaves added floating plants lower the water height to make it like it was dry season and one day there is a pair of Guppies also in the tank I put a mirror in the fish tank for the mail to look at next thing I know the next day the male guppy is dead I cannot see inside the pot that good I do not want to disturb it but how will I know if there is anything going on any suggestions

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Pellegrino+all..

I think you have started new spawning (and therefore also the natural raised level of aggression)
.. but you also limited/decreased the volume/hiding-places (vertically) for the Guppies to escape to.. when you lowered the water!!

If the female stay aggressive toward the male..and she is still intense yellow in color...+ stays inside and keep digging out any sand from the cave/caves.. You will probably soon have fry!!!
Females may also move "wrigglers" from one cave to another until the fry have physically developed enough to swim on their own !!

Pellegrino

Thank you for helping me out one of the females in the tank that is in the flower pot I wouldn't say he is yellow she's kind of like Blackish orangish Blackish I tried shining a flashlight in there but I can't see anything at all I was going to turn the pot on its side and look at it but I don't want to disturb them a pet store near me has loads of epistolas they just got in today I'm going to buy six to eight different ones tomorrow hopefully at least two different types of trios

Pellegrino

Help me how two of my three sets of Trio cockatoos I still don't have any success with the I'm just lost I don't know what to do

MickeM

5 Year Member
Can you post a pic of the tank/tanks.. with this info it will be much easier to help you out..
There are many different factors that may make the difference in a tank..
(Waterquality, type of sand, snails or catfishes/dither fishes.., size/area of the tank..,interior set-up.., or sometimes it is just a problematic couple/combo..)

Maybe sometimes it is also easier if you would only keep a couple instead of a trio..? (At least if you have them in a "small" tank...)

Try to post a pic or two....:)

Pellegrino

One tank is a 30 long the other two are 10 gallons

Attachments

• IMG_20160409_214706.jpg
    IMG_20160409_214706.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 271

Pellegrino

The pH of his mid-sixties and the GH kh is a 1 to 2 there's no ammonia everything I think is good that's why I need help

Pellegrino

The only thing I could think I'm doing wrong and it's not me doing wrong is that i have juvenile males but I'm looking like females decent size so I think that Armature

Attachments

• IMG_20160409_220310186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160409_220310186_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 263

MickeM

5 Year Member
If possible.. I would try to get some substances/restproducts from the sand out of the tank..(1st pic ).. with the help of a siphon-tube.. ( I would recommend little by little.. small amounts of waterchanges.. 10-15% at a time..)..and also add some more kind of plants in the tank (floating or "stem"-plants..
..or both!! ).
The reason for this advise is that you will then probably get a more "clean"/"purified" water.. in a better condition/"balance".. and with less amounts of NO2+NO3... and also a lower kH/TDS/EC .. eggs may be sensetive to all this!!!
And since plants often absorb some chemicals/restproducts.. they will help you out with this ..so to speak..!!

One difference between a "common" Apisto-tank-water and a creek/puddle of water in the nature often is normally the pH...
If a water ,like it often is in our tanks, have pH 6-7.. many species of bacteria can survive in it..( although not harming for grown fishes..)
But if pH is 4-5,5...(often the situation in Apisto-habitats in the nature..) , then many bacterias often dies ..and can therefore not do damage on/to the developing eggs !!

Apistogramma cacatouides is not a species that normally demand a very low pH.. even when spawning.. pH 6-7 ought to do just fine..
In a common tank ( active for some months) .. the pH should not be more then 7..
You may buy a pH-test if you like , but I don`t think it is of a great importance in this case..

If these tips doesn`t help.. maybe you should try with only a pair in each tank.. the 2nd female may eat the eggs/fry of the 1st one..at least when she have no fry of her own...!!??

Last edited:

Pellegrino

I ran out a couple weeks ago and bought an R/O system I did have a bunch of floating plants in the tank I read that if you lower the water like it is dry season and put floating plants in that will do the trick I also tried that I will add a bunch of plants and see if this will do it I don't understand what am I trying to get out of the gravel and sand I appreciate your help buddy

MickeM

5 Year Member
I also think that one risk with 2 females of large size may be that the females sometimes spawn together.. without the male..
..leaving you with dead eggs (after 1-2 days) + the dominant female guarding the eggs anyway...
Large Apisto-females may not always find small males "strong enough" for protectioning of a territory + future offspring..
..so she may then beat him up .. and chase him away until a "proper" male "arrives"... !!

MickeM

5 Year Member
.. and some times you just will have to wait for a new tank to "mature" ecologically.. the best tanks are often the ones
which are 2-3 months "old" since started!!! .. or older!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….