• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with Apistogramma Borelli breeding

heelllooo

Need help.

The separator has worked in a way. I've extended it totally so the male can't pass. No aggression today. The marking on her face are a lot less red. I've pass half of the fry to her side of the tank. She is a lot more active, still feeding well. Keeping the fry pretty well.

But now she keep her jaw open all the time. She is breathing a bit heavily.

What can I do to help her ? I've read about trying to manually put back her jaw ?

If she dies should I let the fry with the male ?

heelllooo

I didn't. Having read more about it after.

But today I euthanized her. She was past the point of no return, unable to swim, breathing frenetically.

The fry and the male are doing really well. The fry are free-swimming since 1 week now.

Still asking around when can I expect the male to start becoming aggressive with the fry ?

heelllooo

Hello everyone,

Reviving the thread once again for more question.

Everything is going perfect right now but I see new issue coming soon.

I had underestimated my capacity to take care of the fry. So instead of having a few fry survived I have more than 30 healthy 40 days old juvenile in my 60L tank.

The male has been removed a bit before the 1 month mark and given to a local hobbyist.

My issue being that I'm not able to setup a growout tank.

At what minimum age would you consider giving the juvenile to somebody acceptable ?

My LFS is willing to take them when the size at 2,5 cm.
Would it be feasible to grow all of them in the 60L until that point.

How many juvenile would you consider acceptable to grow out to adult or atleast sexable size in a 60L ? Knowing that my tank is a nutrient sponge thanks to all the immersed and emersed plant.

Also I have 3-4 individual which are keeping a very small size ( now half of the average of the others ). What is the usual way to deal with them ? Will they grow eventually ?

Thanks in advance

MacZ

I didn't mention it in this thread, but usually this is exactly the reason I ask people whether they are aware of the work and expenses involved in breeding. Started out like this for my dad and me in the early 90s, ended up with a semi-professional fishroom of several thousand liters by 2002 when we gave up breeding.

My issue being that I'm not able to setup a growout tank.
Technical a 60-80 liter plastic vat (something like this) with a sponge filter, bit of sand, leaf litter, few pieces of wood and some floating and/or emerse plants can be set up for less than 50 bucks.

At what minimum age would you consider giving the juvenile to somebody acceptable ?
Age is relative, as there are many factors influencing growth and the size is more relevant: 4cm. Save sexing, gone through all growout related problems, people will not complain.

How many juvenile would you consider acceptable to grow out to adult or atleast sexable size in a 60L ? Knowing that my tank is a nutrient sponge thanks to all the immersed and emersed plant.
Without growth problems and considering you still do enough waterchanges to counter the accumulation of hormones (many juvenile fish release hormones stunting the growth of their siblings): 5-10 in good health, maybe 15 with a lot of waterchanges.

Also I have 3-4 individual which are keeping a very small size ( now half of the average of the others ). What is the usual way to deal with them ? Will they grow eventually ?
You always get some runts. Don't be surprised if those will just wither away over time. It's still possible you lose more than 50% and you will not be able to do anything about it. (won't be your fault, though.)

heelllooo

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Technical a 60-80 liter plastic vat (something like this) with a sponge filter, bit of sand, leaf litter, few pieces of wood and some floating and/or emerse plants can be set up for less than 50 bucks.
Yes it's not a money issue but more of a place and conjugal one. If it was only up to me , I would have 30+ tank right now :)

Age is relative, as there are many factors influencing growth and the size is more relevant: 4cm. Save sexing, gone through all growout related problems, people will not complain.
I did explain myself badly. I was talking about giving a part of the batch to another hobbyist who has space to grow them out. But I'm afraid of the capacity of the fry to be moved and introduce to another water chemistry / bacterial assemblage. Right now the biggest fry do 1,5cm approximately.

Without growth problems and considering you still do enough waterchanges to counter the accumulation of hormones (many juvenile fish release hormones stunting the growth of their siblings): 5-10 in good health, maybe 15 with a lot of waterchanges.

What I was thinking. Right now I'm changing between 30/40L a week in two times. What would you consider a lot of WC ? Like 2-3 times 50 percent a week ?

MacZ

I did explain myself badly. I was talking about giving a part of the batch to another hobbyist who has space to grow them out. But I'm afraid of the capacity of the fry to be moved and introduce to another water chemistry / bacterial assemblage. Right now the biggest fry do 1,5cm approximately.
Once the mother stops caring.

What would you consider a lot of WC ? Like 2-3 times 50 percent a week ?
50% DAILY.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….