• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which type of agassizii is this?

Melanochromis

The following three fish came in the same batch. These very pretty fish were labelled as Apistogramma agassizii "Tefe".

Having read Mike Wise's explanation on A. sp. "Tefe" and A. agassizii "Tefe", I think it's obvious they are not the former species, but could they be A. agassizii "Tefe" or perhaps another variety of A. agassizii? Can anyone ID the variety and is it an aquarium or wild strain?

Thanks to anyone who replies :)

Odd001.jpg

Odd004.jpg

Odd005.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well all of the populations/forms/species in the A. agassizii superspecies tend to have males that are polychomatic. Therefore, color isn't especially useful for ID purposes. Looking at these photos, they all look like the holotype form found along the Amazon from about Manaus Brazil, in the east, to Genaro Herrera Peru, in the west. This range includes the Rio Tefé. The Tefé population looks much like all of the others. Without knowing where a specimens was collected, it is hard to know to which population it belongs. Personally, if they were sold as being from the Tefé, then I would call them A. agassizii Tefé.

Melanochromis

Thank you Mike. It's amazing how many different looking agassizii-like fish are labelled Tefe. But I haven't seen an agassizii like this before. Its bright yellow is beautiful but somewhat unfamiliar. That's why I thought it might be selectively bred.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've seen photos of similar fish from several different rivers in Peru and western Brazil. The yellow is just 1 of 2 or more color morphs that are mixed together at a location. Like I said before, "color isn't especially useful for ID purposes" for A. agassizii.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….