• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Use of oak sticks safely

TT088

Hi all,

I have a large oak tree in my garden which I have been collecting dead leaves from, I would like to use the branches / sticks for my agassizii setup, however I am cautious at to how to use these as I have not used sticks collected myself before.

If anyone uses or has used oak sticks/ branches successfully, please could I ask how I should approach using these (do they need preparing etc) and things to be careful of?

Thanks
Tom

MacZ

If the branches and twigs are sufficiently seasoned (like twigs that fell in winter last year in a storm, collected this year in fall) and dried in storage for some months, it will work too. In any case boiling and sterilising is not necessary.
I use beech and oak leaves I collect myself for years now, most often drying and rehydrating before use was all the preparation needed.

Just make sure the leaves are dead and brown and ad Mike says, have shed all the nutrients.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….