• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What fish are from the same location as apistogramma trifasiata?

apisto9809

5 Year Member
so would a pair be too big? for a 20 gallon long?

Where do YOU buy all ur apistos?

I know TwoFishGuyz has a huge selection, but wow.

I like agazzizi, could I keep those?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A pair of Bolivian Rams should be fine in a 20L. If the tank is properly aquascaped (use search function to see earlier discussions) you could probably even keep a pair of apistos with them. Although A. agassizii doesn't occur naturally with M. altispinossus, in the proper aquarium they should be fine.

I trade for most of my fish. I also buy some at the ACA national conventions. I just like to see what I'm getting. Check the dealers in that section of the forum. Most have very good reputations.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
well, I was looking for a tetra, but I hear they all eat eggs, is this true? If so, I will have to stick to hatchets.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
We learn by doing but unless reading has gone out of fashion, a reference book is good to own. No need to reinvent the wheel. I recommend South American Dwarf Cichlids by Hans J. Mayland and Dieter Bork, 1997. It answers every question you have asked and those that you haven't yet asked.
With a solid foundation a reference book and some hands on experience you will be able to frame specific question for which there are specific answers. Hypothetical questions only result in hypothetical responses.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
ooo, expensive book. anyway, could you keep Brazilian Ghost Shrimp with Blue/Bolivian Rams? They grow quite big for shrimp, 1.5 inches. Do you think they would still get eaten?

DH247

5 Year Member
The shrimp should be fine with smaller sized apistos. However, any of the larger types will try to eat them. A good rule is if it fits it their mouth, they will try to eat it.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
well, I don't think a 3.5 inch Blue/Bolivian Ram has a 1.5 inch mouth, so they should be ok, right?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There is always the slight chance that the shimp will be discovered while molting. Even small cichlids can rip apart a shrimp before its new exoskeleton hardens.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
that could be a problem, lol. So far, I should get my tank today from PetSmart. I have to mod the stand though. It should be ok soon. The stock list is:

4 or 5 otocinclus cocama
pair of centerpiece fish (apistos/rams)
7 or 9 pygmy/marbled hatchetfish.

how's that?

DH247

5 Year Member
Just because something is 1.5in long does not mean that it's as wide! A 1.5in long shrimp is pretty skinny and can be eaten lengthwise. Mike is also spot on with his comments. You will be taking your chances.

That list will be fine. Good luck!

apisto9809

5 Year Member
Are Rummynose tetras that bad of fry/egg eaters?

They are one of the most highly considered schooling fish. Do you think a group of 4 Rams (Blue) could stand up against a school of 9 rummynoses and 5 otocinclus?

That is probably overstocked for the 20 long, but if not and the rams could hold up, that would be perfect.

I wouldn't mnd having cardinal tetras, but they aren't as active schoolers as rummynoses.

get back to me as soon as possible

-Nick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Are Rummynose tetras that bad of fry/egg eaters?

Yes, one of the best at it.

They are one of the most highly considered schooling fish. Do you think a group of 4 Rams (Blue) could stand up against a school of 9 rummynoses and 5 otocinclus?

Rummynose are a wonderful fish for a community tank - but not for a breeding tank. Rummys have a reputation for being a poor fish in new tanks (just like Cardinals are). In a well established tank with slightly acid, moderately soft water, they can live for 4 - 5 years.

That is probably overstocked for the 20 long, but if not and the rams could hold up, that would be perfect.

Ask yourself the question: How important is breeding my cichlids? If it is not important, get them; if breeding is important, forget them. A 20Long would be pretty well at maximum density with the suggested stock - and I wouldn't stock it like this until the tank had been adequately cycled and up and running for a few months. Both Rummys & Otos don't do especially well in a relatively new tank.

I wouldn't mnd having cardinal tetras, but they aren't as active schoolers as rummynoses.

Think of Rummys as Cardinals on a cafeine high.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
its semi-important to me, breeding I mean, I want to make a littl emoney selling to lfs, but I dont want a breeding program like twofishguyz. lol. So what tetra would you recommend then?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you truly are serious about starting with & breeding a dwarf cichlids, begin with a good quality pair of a domestic red or orange morph of A. cacatuoides. Get them from a quality breeder or a LFS that gets his fish from a local breeder. Add only 2 or 3 pencilfish as target/dither fish. Feed mostly live baby brine shrimp, do at least 25% water changes each week. This will get you started. Oh, yes, one last thing. Don't expect to make a profit. Dwarf cichlids are not Angelfish or albino corys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….