• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What fish are from the same location as apistogramma trifasiata?

apisto9809

5 Year Member
For someone with little or no experience with dwarf cichlids, I would not recommend any of the apisto species that you list be kept in a 10 gallon tank. You more likely would be successful with A. borellii, A. caetei- or A. resticulosa-complex species. These are smaller & less aggressive species.

I love Flame/Von Rio Tetras. They were the first fish I successfully reproduced. I also know that they will eat apisto fry. I had a female A. cacatuoides who was continually driving a couple of Flames away from her breeding cave. She eventually killed both because they wouldn't stay away. I expect this is what would happen with many other tetras in small tanks.

Since you are not looking to produce a true natural biotope (based on the species that you list), I suggest that you get a pair of Opal A. borellii, and add 3-4 Dwarf Pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus) and a 1-2 Otocinclus. This is a full compliment for a 10 gallon tank.

I might go with the last option you gave, then later if I get a bigger tank, get either trifasciata or viejita.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a properly decorated 15/20High gallon tank there is sufficient room for most trios or pairs of apistos. This is a much better size. A 20Long is even better. Gallon for gallon, a shallow tank with a larger surface area is superior to a deep tank with smaller surface area.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cool, would I be able to keep any schooling fish with the trio of apistos?

Yes, some of the schooling fish will do fine in this size tank. Here are some things to consider when selecting such fish:

If this is primarily a breeding tank, choose fish that tend to stay at the top of the tank. This will avoid most interactions between them and the apistos. Many of the schooling tetras & barbs can be accomplished fry predators. One will try to catch a fry, the female will drive it away, and then the rest of the fish will attack the unguarded fry. They usually don't get many fry each time, but over time the fry will be lost. It might be better to use fish that are not true schooling fish, something like pencilfish, pygmy gouramies and Cherry Barbs. Use only 2 or 3 instead of a school. The other option is to use top feeding fish like hatchetfish or small killifish. It is not easy to catch bottom dwelling fry when you have an upturned mouth. Finally don't use fish that are too small or too slow for you apistos to easily catch/kill/eat.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
I was thinking of hatchets, but then I would have to cover the tank, which would look ugly. A rimless tank tank is supposed to be open top. I don't know what to do :(

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Get over the no cover glass idea. If you don't you will only regret the fish lost from jumping.
One of the prettiest of all Tetras from same range as A. trifasciata is one that was already mentioned, Aphyocharax rathbuni, usually sold as Green Fire Tetras. You really want to use the longest widest tank you can afford for you Apistogramma. They all have an instinct to control certain amounts of area. That varies with the species. A. borelli will usually breed successfully with two trios in a 20 Long.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
ok, now I am sure I am getting a regular 20 long, for my birthday. My options expand a lot I believe, right? I will put a cover on and have hatchets. Which apisto species would go good in a pair/trio in this tank? Could I keep Blue or Bolivian rams?

Thanks

-Nick

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Bolivian Rams are by far the easier to keep and breed. They generally make good parents which I can't say about blue rams. I think they can go with an Apistogramma sp.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I wouldn't put M. altispinosa (Bolivian Rams) in a 20 Long with a trio of A. trifasciata. They get comparatively too large to be compatable in a tank that is less than a 30 Long. If this is your first experience with Apistos, then I would not have more than one trio in a 20L. Personally, instead of buying more fish I think you need to buy a good book on dwarf cichlids and learn about their behavior and tank needs.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
sorry, I must have confused you. I meant EITHER a pair of Rams OR a trio of apistos, not both. How many hatchets, otos, and apistos would be good in that tank?

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning Apisto,

I agree with the master and Mike. Have you read up at all on any requirements, needs for Apistos, how many inch of fish per litre of water, filters , cover of tank. Anything at all. Everybody is giving you advice, yet you do not seem to want to listen or read the replies. My suggestion is to read up on the type of apisto that you want. Then find out what filter you have, then find out how many inches of fish per litre of water you can have. Everybody has mentioned a trio, yet you always ask the same question - how many fish. Use dither fish and not schooling fish IE pencil etc but only 2-3, but Mike has already replied to that as well. Otos are dependant on algae growth, do you have that in your tank. In your last mail you ask how many hatchet fish, but in previous mails you do not want to cover your tank.
what do you actually want ? Have you noticed you have 33replies already.
cheers jks.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
no, I need to know which type of apisto/ram I will get and then read up on it. How else would I study on the fish I like if I don't have the actual desicion yet?

I will probably go with a pair of Bolivian Rams. And Hatchetfish.

Cheers
-Nick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The apisto system should be fine for community tanks - but not for breeding set-ups. I would never keep a dwarf pike - especially C. compressiceps - in such a small tank. A pair always ends up as one fish.

apisto9809

5 Year Member
ok, I have decided on a pair of Bolivian Rams or a pair of Blue Rams. Though Blue Rams get larger, Bolivians are a better choice for me since I am a beginner. What else? I am thinking of getting a 29 gallon instead, what could I keep?

Just list any combos that are biotopes that would be nice in that size please!!!! :wink:

cheers
-Nick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Bolivian Ram grows larger than the Blue Ram.

Species that occur in the same area as the Bolivian Ram include: A. sp. Mamoré & A. cf. trifasciata (Guaporé) (both commonly sold as "A. sp. Mamoré"), A. cf. staecki Guaporé, A. linkei, A. staecki, & A. similis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….