• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknow fish that came with diplotaenia

Melanochromis

The importer told me that a couple of these fish came in with his order of Apistogramma diplotaenia. They remind me of A. uaupesi or Rotkeil but I'm not familiar with that group. Will anyone help me identify the species? Thanks :)

Odd023.jpg

Odd024.jpg

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

the photos show two different species.

The first one seems to be A. (cf.) pertensis. (Mike? ...that's not my complex!) ;-)

A. (cf.) pulchra (not pulcher, that's Pelvicachromis *g*) is a good guess, Aquaclarity, but due to the pretty broad lateral band, the second one seems more likely to be A. sp. Abacaxis/Wilhelmi.

best regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
How can I disagree with Rolo!:biggrin: The fist photo looks like A. cf. pertensis to me, too. The second could be A. sp. Abacaxis/Wilhelmi, but this fish is not found with A. diplotaenia (upper Orinoco & Rio Negro). My guess is that it is a young male A. uaupesi. The photo is not in focus, but it appears that the upper lobe of the caudal fin seems to be forming an extended tip.

Melanochromis

Hmm... many suspects now :eek:
I looked up A. cf. pertensis and it sure does look similar to the fish in the first pic.

And I hope the second is A. sp. Wilhelmi. Such a lovely fish. I know this importer also keeps a tank of Wilhelmi. Perhaps this one got mixed up into the diplotaenia tank somehow.

Rolo

5 Year Member
How can I disagree with Rolo!:biggrin:

Hey, you just want to bother me, right? You are NOT allowed to disagree with me!!! ;-)

The second could be A. sp. Abacaxis/Wilhelmi, but this fish is not found with A. diplotaenia (upper Orinoco & Rio Negro). My guess is that it is a young male A. uaupesi. The photo is not in focus, but it appears that the upper lobe of the caudal fin seems to be forming an extended tip.

Strange... ;-)
However, I wasn't sure with my guess... and obviously I've been affected by the A.pulchra-guess! ;-) (write fast! - think slow! *g*)
Of course, you're right, that the locality of A. diplotaenia don't fit. I had that in mind, but often "imported with.... " is not the same as "caught with...", even if there's a long distance between the localities.

To me the fish don't look like an A. uaupesi someway (on this photo), but due to the locality, I have no other guess, so likely you're right.
But it also could be A. elizabethae. Not a young fish, but a female out of breeding dress, that's also a good guess.

Let's wait for the fish growing up a bit more and then we try again. ;-)

best regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The second fish seems to be a young A. elizabethae.

I think that I'll defer to our French expert on this one. It does look like a young male A. elizabethae. Although a fuzzy photo, I think I see the agassizii-group mouth patch on the fish. I think we will need a better photo and maybe a bit more time (age) to be certain.

Ruki

5 Year Member
Photo from other angle(from side) will be better.
My A. elizabthae females sometimes looked simmiliar, but not the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….