• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swimming in spirals???

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
I have had my apisto cacatuoides for almost 3 weeks and have one that is swimming in spirals and breathing very hard. Is there anything I can do for it.

They were purchased at an auction and are quite yound. Currently in a 20g with some panda cory. I have been feeding flakes and decap brine shrimp 2x's a day. W/c done with dechlor or aged water....2 or 3 very small ones a week and a 20-30% change weekly. A cycled sponge filter was used to set up the tank.

fishgeek

ammonia levels? elevated will lead to neuro and respiratory signs

andrew
if the pH is increasing then more toxic to fish

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
This happened about 8 hours after I did a 20% w/c. None of the other fish are having any problems, just the 1 apisto. For a 20g tank it is not over stocked and I clean up the bottom every few days, then min once a week do a w/c, so I don't think it is amonia levels.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
Water checked out fine, after a w/c I would hope so , but it was still doing the spirals. I added a small amount of hydrogen peroxide (tip from other forum when there are breathing problems) and it seems much better today. It is swimming normal and it's colour is normal now....not eating yet, but I hope it will later.

Sallywally

5 Year Member
You do realize that if you put hydrogen peroxide in your main tank and filter system, you have most likely wiped out all of your nitrification bacteria? Perhaps I misunderstood and this was in a hospital or quarentine tank that is having daily water changes anyway..............

fishgeek

how does H2O2 kill nitryfing bacteria in the filter ?
does anyone have any duration of effect/stability of peroxide compounds at differing temperatures and differing dose's

is it just the oxidative effect?

andrew

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
At a very low dosage I don't think it will do anything to the bio balance. I only used 1/2 cap in a 20g tank. I have heard of it used for angel fry that seem to have bacterial problems (early stage) and it only takes one dose.to work. It does break down into water and oxygen.

I will keep an eye out for signs of bio balance out of wack. I do small w/c a few times a week just to clean up the bottom so they should be fine. Thanks for your input.

aspen

5 Year Member
fry will often flash if exposed to amm or nitrite. or, they will start to die off. i don't believe a single doasage of 1 capful of H2O2 in a 20 gal will kill off your bio-filter btw. but it is ceratinly worth keeping your eye on for the next few days.

rick

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
8) All is fine in the tank and so are the apistos. Don't know what caused the heavy breathing, but the peroxide worked and didn't do anything to the bio balance :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….