• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

stocking compatability

b3aR

Hello there

Brand new to Apistogrammas and the the forum but not the hobby.

I am looking for some advice from veterans of this species.

Mainly I would to know which of my current fish are likely to get along with a pair of A. sp. Agassiz's.
I have read up a fair bit on what will do well eg cardinal tetras (as long as I am trying to successfully breed)

Along with some basic tips and what to look out for. I know from my current research a fair bit but only with different opinions
Current stock and aquarium setup

110litre - 29 gallon
83.5cm x 30cm
fluval 206 canister/external filter

9 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 kuhli loaches
harlequin rasboras
swordtail x2

ph7.5
temp 28c

Many thanks in advance

\B3AR

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, for a 29High, your tank is already a fully stocked community. I wouldn't add another apisto species to it unless you have it so choked with plants, wood, etc. that you can't see into it. Otherwise you're looking as losing some fish.

b3aR

Personally, for a 29High, your tank is already a fully stocked community. I wouldn't add another apisto species to it unless you have it so choked with plants, wood, etc. that you can't see into it. Otherwise you're looking as losing some fish.

Thanks. If i was to downsize the stock level would you recommend any to keep or get rid of

b3aR

I also love the look of the cacatuoides. Would these be suitable witha single dwarf gourami if kept in a pair

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Thanks. If i was to downsize the stock level would you recommend any to keep or get rid of
Probably the two Sword-tails, because they are a fish that likes harder water, and all the rest of the fish are soft water.

Do you know the hardness of your water? Apistogramma agassizii doesn't do well in hard water.

Apistogramma cacatuoides
is OK in harder water, but I would worry about the Dwarf Gourami, either the male or female Apistogramma may attack it, I think it is the body shape of the Gourami that they don't like.

Before you make any decisions have a look at <"Dwarf Cichlid: Aquarium Care">, it is a web site with a lot of useful information.

cheers Darrel

b3aR

Hi all,Probably the two Sword-tails, because they are a fish that likes harder water, and all the rest of the fish are soft water.

Do you know the hardness of your water? Apistogramma agassizii doesn't do well in hard water.

Apistogramma cacatuoides
is OK in harder water, but I would worry about the Dwarf Gourami, either the male or female Apistogramma may attack it, I think it is the body shape of the Gourami that they don't like.

Before you make any decisions have a look at <"Dwarf Cichlid: Aquarium Care">, it is a web site with a lot of useful information.

cheers Darrel
My dwarf gourami is the favourite of the lot so getting rid of him isnt an option :(

My local area has particularly soft water and it would cocatuoides i would be going for.

Is it known that gouramis get on well. Mst of the time or is it more than likely they will suffer?

Thanks

Siggi

In the OP you said your water has pH 7,5...
Although you mention it is not hard you'll have a hard time breeding Apistos in alkaline water.
They'll still do fine, though. Their eggs just won't hatch...
Just thought I'd share that...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….