• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exchanging stocking

MacZ

I brought one of them to the store as well. Another store, so no store credit, but the heck, better than another dead fish. So... within one week down by 4 Dicrossus. :(

MacZ

And unbelievably, I also have a fish for ID. They were labeled as A. barlowi. I'm interested in buying them, but haven't pulled the trigger today.

Attachments

• photo_2022-09-03_19-09-23.jpg
    photo_2022-09-03_19-09-23.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 120

Mazan

And unbelievably, I also have a fish for ID. They were labeled as A. barlowi. I'm interested in buying them, but haven't pulled the trigger today.
A mouthbrooding species, interesting! They do look like the photos of A. barlowi in my Peru book, though I can't see well the shape of the caudal fin in the photos the yellow bottom half seems to be a key feature of the species - I am no expert on Apistogramma id though. Apparently they are found in small fast-flowing blackwater streams. Most blackwater streams are slow flowing, but that is what it says in the book!

Mazan

I presume you have seen the 2008 paper describing the species, which has a few notes on habitats? In my book on Amazonian fishes from Peru it just says they are found in small swift-flowing blackwater streams and are mostly collected for exportation from tributaries of the Rio Ampiyacu. It also mentions that the males make mounds of sand and their mouth brooding habits.

Last edited:

MacZ

Yes, I read the paper and looked up the coordinates of the collecting location. The digging activity is what keeps me away from them. I don't have the right type of habitat here.

Samson&Delilah

Hello everybody!

I need some input. I just made a deal with my LFS about them taking in 3 of my male Dicrossus filamentosus.
Problem: They won't give me money (not a problem actually, I'm glad the fish go into their big Rio Negro display tank), but also not general store credit. I only get to exchange them for other live fish. At least I don't have to decide immediately, they will give me a gift certificate so I can take my time to choose.

I could get some females, eventually, but they have and can get them only really small (3cm, wild caught) and I'm a bit hesitant if they would do okay with double to triple sized males. I have neither space nor money for a growout, I can only quarantine for some weeks and that's it.

Any ideas for other fish I could add?

Stocking will be (as of coming friday afternoon):
- 2 male Dicrossus filamentosus
- 10 Nannostomus eques

Tank size: 80x35x40cm
Parameters: TDS 40mg/l, EC 75µSi/cm, pH roughly 5

They have several species of Apistogramma and Nannacara in stock, named A. bitaeniata, A. panduro and N. anomala on the phone. Also different twig and whip catfish and blackwater suitable tetras. The tank is in my opinion not suitable for Corydoras, so those are out. The store can order directly from Ruinemans, so availability is not a huge problem. EU import laws have more impact.

It's not about compatability, I just need some ideas because I simply cannot decide.
These are as of June banned from export so what you are seeing is the last of wild caught females in the shops. I’d keep your males, grab as many females as you can and try breeding them

MacZ

These are as of June banned from export so what you are seeing is the last of wild caught females in the shops. I’d keep your males, grab as many females as you can and try breeding them
I know, actually they are banned from collection and export since January and only from Colombia, neither from Brazil nor Venezuela, it is very much possible the specimens in stores recently are not Colombian after all.
And you should probably have read the rest of this thread. One of the fish was killed by its brothers a week ago and all of the others are rehomed except one. And my tank is display only.
The socio-economic situation here in Europe and my personal life have completely demolished any plans of breeding any fish. To be frank, I might even have to quit fishkeeping due to rising upkeep costs in electricity by next spring. I'll wait though winter to see if the developments really force me to do this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….