• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I use this rainwater?

retro_gk

5 Year Member
So, it rained, quite heavily, all night last night... and this morning I collected about 15 gallons of rainwater off a downspout in the hopes of using it to coax my Pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus into spawning.

Now, part of me says "go ahead, it rained all night. Anything nasty in the air or on the roof would've long been washed off...". Another part of me says "this is LA, you never know what nasty stuff has been accumulating on the roof"

What would you do?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you collected run-off after it rained all night, then it should be OK. I would suggest that you first run it for several hours through a power filter with quality activated carbon (not charcoal). This will aerate & remove any dissolved toxins that might have been in the rain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….