• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about my Regani Group Dwarf Pike

Darren K

Last year I got some dwarf pikes that were labeled as C. regani. Sadly only one female made it, the rest died died during the quarantine period.
She has been in a planted 29 along with some Candy cane tetras (H. bentosi), and Nerite snails. She has left everything alone so far, but as she grows I don't want to risk it.
Now on to the questions.
IMG_9136 copy.JPG
Dwarf Crenicichla.png
(would not show off for me after I cleaned the glass)
  1. What is the ideal water for these pikes? I have been keeping her at ph 6.5-6.7 and fairly soft.
    • I have a number of black water tanks and think her colours would pop in the tannin stained water with leaf litter.
  2. Is it worth trying to source some more as I do not know the collection location of my fish?
  3. Will she be fine by herself in the long run?
  4. Lastly, does someone know what species/local this is? As the ocelli have some white around the top and there are 3 I am assuming this is a regani not a notophthalmus
Thanks!

MacZ

Luckily one doesn't have to have kept every species, but know the habitat to know what works in some cases. :)
What is the ideal water for these pikes? I have been keeping her at ph 6.5-6.7 and fairly soft.
  • I have a number of black water tanks and think her colours would pop in the tannin stained water with leaf litter.
It doesn't have to be blackwater, but clearwater will do. pH roundabout 6.0, EC 100µS/cm. Means GH/KH below detection or just at 1-2. For that pH KH has to be virtually 0.

Is it worth trying to source some more as I do not know the collection location of my fish?
If breeding is your goal, yes.

Will she be fine by herself in the long run?
If not you can leave her alone.

Lastly, does someone know what species/local this is? As the ocelli have some white around the top and there are 3 I am assuming this is a regani not a notophthalmus
I have to pass, but ask @Mazan
She'll probably know.

Darren K

Thanks for answering Mac. You always respond quickly and give good answers.
It doesn't have to be blackwater, but clearwater will do. pH roundabout 6.0, EC 100µS/cm. Means GH/KH below detection or just at 1-2. For that pH KH has to be virtually 0.
Sounds good, I will work on dropping ph.
KH is about 1 and but GH is closer to 3-4, so I will also lower them.
f breeding is your goal, yes.
No intention of breeding, I just like how they look so I probably won't bother.

Mazan

Sorry I only just saw this post, I did not get a notification...

Well, I am not an expert on these, but I have read quite a bit about dwarf pikes since I acquired some a while back. Mine look very similar to yours and were identified as Crenicichla cf nothopthalmus sp. Orinoco on another forum. I know the collection locality matches this. I have read that regani females have black ocelli rimmed with white, while C. nothopthalmus has a single ocellus rimmed with red. The Orinoco dwarf pike female has one or more ocelli rimmed with red. This species has been called C. regani sp Orinoco by some sources, but is now thought to be more closely related to nothophtalmus and is as yet undescribed officially. I believe this is probably the species you have. Unlike nothopthalmus, the males do not have the extended front dorsal fin rays, though as you only have a female this is not helpful.

By the way, all dwarf pike cichlids are now classified in the genus Wallaciia, no longer Crenicichla.

I have found them to be quite undemanding and not particularly aggressive either to each other or to other fish. I do not have them in blackwater but the water is soft (GH 1-2, KH 0-1), pH is 6.6-6.8 and TDS around 30 on water change day. I do believe they would look very good and do well in blackwater though, and a lower pH may be necessary for breeding, not sure. Mine went through as stage of displaying a lot but it came to nothing. When I first got them they would only eat live or frozen food. Now they eat anything.

There are some pictures of mine here:

Darren K

Sorry I only just saw this post, I did not get a notification...
All good, and thanks for the response and information.

Mine finally took his first pellet last week. He hasn't looked at them since and only eats frozen for now.

I believe that he was from the Orinoco, the supplier I got mine from thought they were closer to nothophtalmus then regani when he saw them so this makes sense on the species id for it.

I think I will switch him over to a black water tank once I finish re-arranging my tanks, because I love leaf litter tanks and the look of black water. I will post photos of her in the black water once I get it moved and set up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….