• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coral Reef tank for a planted dwarf cichlid and othes display aquarium.

Cichlacat

I’ve admired the large 4 foot wide by 8 foot long by 15 inch tall aquariums set up as reef tanks in salt water aquarium stores.

I think they would make a nice dwarf cichlid (not necessarily apistos perhaps Ivanacara, dwarf pikes, dwarf acaras, and perhaps a couple of discus etc.), plants, maybe a few shrimp and schooling fish habitat. I would also include schools of corys, some otocinclus or small plecos. It would be fascinating to have this tank in the middle of a room and move around the tank in a rolling chair.

It would simulate a pond or shallow river habitat where smaller fish dwell.
Has anyone seen or tried a setup like this?
My first thoughts, It would be awesome!)

Last edited:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I’ve admired the large 4 foot wide by 8 foot long by 15 inch tall aquariums set up as reef tanks in salt water aquarium stores.

I think they would make a nice dwarf cichlid (not necessarily apistos perhaps Ivanacara, dwarf pikes, dwarf acaras, and perhaps a couple of discus etc.), plants, maybe a few shrimp and schooling fish ..........
It would simulate a pond or shallow river habitat where smaller fish dwell.
Has anyone seen or tried a setup like this?
My first thoughts, It would be awesome!)
Have a look at Tai Strietman's tanks.

Shrimp would be a non-starter, and neither Corydoras or L. numbers ideal as they like caves and the basal area of the tank

Cheers Darrel

Cichlacat

I will take a look at the tanks. I will add caves around the perimeter. And make several small rock small rock piles scattered around the tank.

I don’t think I’ll do apistos. They don’t like me and my water so much.

I like Ivanacara, dwarf acara, Nannacara and dwarf crenicichla much better. Maybe smaller geophagus and relatives.

Perhaps a dwarf crayfish or two but they would probably eat the corys.

Lots of small plants that would spread like pygmy chain swords, hornwart, annubias, etc.

anewbie

I will take a look at the tanks. I will add caves around the perimeter. And make several small rock small rock piles scattered around the tank.

I don’t think I’ll do apistos. They don’t like me and my water so much.

I like Ivanacara, dwarf acara, Nannacara and dwarf crenicichla much better. Maybe smaller geophagus and relatives.

Perhaps a dwarf crayfish or two but they would probably eat the corys.

Lots of small plants that would spread like pygmy chain swords, hornwart, annubias, etc.
If most species of apisto don't like your water; then most of the other species you mentioned are not likely to enjoy your water as they are all softwater/blackwater fishes. The dwarf acara - esp tank raised are probably the most flexible; I believe there is a central american geo that is medium hardwater fish; i don't recall the full thread but did you indicate the kh/gh of your water as knowing that will help select fishes that will thrive.

Cichlacat

That’s true. But all the other species I’ve kept have been a success.despite my water conditions. .
Aged peat water, immaculate water, and plenty of partial water changes satisfies all the species I mentioned earlier but not apistos.

No more apistos for me.

MacZ

I don't get the fuzz. If you do it right any size of tank, especially the bigger ones, will do. I know several people that have had similar dimensioned tanks specifically made for biotope projects.
The only downside: The tank would be too low for Discus or Angelfish or bigger species. But that's all.

And just out of curiousity... What species of Apistogramma have you kept? I have a suspicion why you had problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….