• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing a. Paulmuelleri

Iormungand21

So I was pretty confident I had 2 males of a Paulmuelleri. But just the last couple days one is really yellowing up and making me have doubts? Just figured id get a second opinion on them.

Bigger boy, with other specimen in question in background

1677259542447.png

focus swapped

1677259583372.png

1677259746511.png

Iormungand21

I’m gonna go with making yourself look like a girl reduces the number of beatings you take when you’re the subdominant male.
That's what ive been leaning towards as well. Just the last day or so he got way more yellow. The finnage and such definitely dont say female to me. Figured Id ask the experts, I know some regani-group species tend to be less dimorphic

Iormungand21

They are both males, females don't show any red markings on the head.
Thank you for the confirmation. That's what I had been assuming, but figured Id asked as I havent seen a female of the species, and after having them both for a few weeks had never seen the less dominant male go so vibrant. Very much appreciated at always

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….