• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rams & pH

P

Pat

Hi there,

I've got a male Blue Ram in my planted 38-gal community tank, along with two pairs of Kribs, one Congo tetra, some bronze cories, a few otocinculus, three Rasbora tetras, and four glowlight tetras. Also two small clown plecos. And three fancy-tail guppies.

The Blue Ram is doing fine in 7.6 pH water (I've had him many months now), and he's gorgeous. Question: if I go back to the same store where I got him (they sell locally-raised Rams acclimated to the higher pH) and get a female, will the Rams be able to breed in water with a pH that high? I think the hardness is only at about 3, and past attempts to lower the tank's pH have been disastrous and ineffective. Is it physically impossible for Rams to produce offspring in 7.6 water? (Assuming they'd pair off at all, of course.)

Thanks!

-- Pat

aspen

5 Year Member
hi pat. i have water with gh 8, kh 4, ph 7.8- 8.0. i tried using my water, and got some decent spawns, but small hatches with rams in my tapwater.

but... just going out and buying a female for your male, may or may not work. he may want to, but she may not. that may mean splitting them up, if need be.

rick

Z Man

5 Year Member
I have been breeding Rams in a 7.5pH for a long time. IMHO it's the hardness that is most important. BUT with all those fish especially the Kribs in that tank, I don't believe you will ever get any viable fry. Rams are not the best of parents from what I have seen.

Neil

Pat,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I agree that the hardness is probably the more important issue. I think that a low mineral content is critical for the hatching process of the eggs. I have also found that the fry do not do well if the hardness is raised much during the first month or so. I tied a 1/3 water change with tap water( and not particularily hard tap water) once at 3 weeks and killed most of the fry.
I usually try to keep the pH in, at least, the neutral range. They just seem a bit happier that way, but I don't think it makes so much of a difference that you need to worry. Good luck,
Neil

P

Pat

Thanks, folks,

Okay, there's a chance, then. Now all I've got to do is see if I can find my Ram a nice girlfriend ...

-- Pat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….