• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ram ID? links to pics included

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like M. ramirezi to me. It might be a cross between a couple of color morphs, but it's hard to say since there are variations on colors in wild populations. This certainly doesn't make it a hybrid - a cross between 2 species. Love your photo of the female w/eggs on the leaf, BTW.

J

justinb013

cool- I wasn't sure if they were or not, someone who saw the same pics on another forum said
Those rams are hybrids. blue/german x bolivian by the looks of it. I wouldn't be too excited about growing out any fry
so I figured I would get more opinions. I bought about 8 of em at a local auction for a buck each, so I was not sure if they were hybrid, nor overly concerned as my investment in them was small.

Here are some more pics for ya.

female w/eggs 2
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL701/2897759/5848720/75068480.jpg

whole tank:
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL701/2897759/5848720/75068360.jpg

lone male:
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL701/2897759/5848720/75068386.jpg

Apistt_ed

To me it's likely from the cross of a wild columbian ram strain that will have more of the orange color and one of the asian strains which seem stouter and taller at the shoulders than the wild rams. This is widely practiced to see what can be produced, especially in Asia where the balloon rams have come from natural deformaties found in the wild and the Asian strain itself. I have never heard of Altispinosa and Ram crosses but it might be possible... who knows? But it's very likely not the ones you have. Your female shows absolutely beautiful coloration in the caudal tail with the edges of it red/orange. I would love to see how the fry look like. CONGRATS on the spawn!!

john

Randall

5 Year Member
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Hello Justin,

Welcome to our forum!

No, your Mikrogeophagus ramirezi don't look like hybrids to me but rather an aquarium strain...and a beautiful one at that!

Thank you for sharing your photos with us. Yours is a gorgeous tank.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

J

justinb013

Thanks for all the replies and compliments... I feel better now. The consensus here and elsewhere has been "Nope, thos are NOT hybrids..." Never hurts to get additional opinions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….