• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID & Agression

onions

Hello,

I have a male and a female apisto. I'm not sure what they are so an ID would be nice. I've included pics of the male and female. The female turns a shade of yellow sometimes but she is stressed.

I also have an issue. I have an ADA 60p tank. The male is constantly harassing the female. I'm not sure what to do
Should I bring him back or wait for the female to mature? What else could I do to lower the Agression. I've included a pic of my tank. Thanks any help is appreciated!

PXL_20230808_234006342.jpg
PXL_20230808_233719325.jpg
PXL_20230808_233528105.jpg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Your fish is A. sp. Steel-blue. As for the agression: you can try to put the male in another tank for some time, rescape this tank with the female and then maybe after some weeks put the male back into it. Also more hiding places like caves with entrances as small that only the female fits into them or a lot of leaf litter would be a good idea.
More generally your substrate is far from optimal for Apistos too. Fine rounded sand is the best choice because they can sift through it for food thereby cleaning their gills.

onions

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Is it a male even though it's much smaller, paler and turns yellow at times?

I think I'll bring the bully back to the store. I love the little guy and I don't have another tank.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
So far I haven't seen a Steel-blue female with that much blue and red coloration on the head and such a pronounced caudal pattern as your fish. So it would surprise me if it were a female. Can you please show a photo when it's turned yellow?

onions

So far I haven't seen a Steel-blue female with that much blue and red coloration on the head and such a pronounced caudal pattern as your fish. So it would surprise me if it were a female. Can you please show a photo when it's turned yellow?
I can't seem to get a good pic. He/she hides a lot. I did see the big one shake his little ass at the small one, not sure if that's a mating dance or what.

I'll just assume it's a male and take the big one back. Thanks for all the info.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Often only males are sold, no-one knows exactly why. I kept them for a while, the males are really aggressive. I did eventually find a female, but it all ended in tears.

cheers Darrel

onions

I can't seem to get a good pic. He/she hides a lot. I did see the big one shake his little ass at the small one, not sure if that's a mating dance or what.

I'll just assume it's a male and take the big one back. Thanks for al

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….