• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Problem breedind cacatuoides

danbb

Then I don't want to breed them anymore, let's see what happens :)
In the past, when there was no plan with breeding, they spawned, now when I want that, nothing... I'll try all the tricks to breed them.

A few of the 10 day old fry. They smash on grindal worms

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 351

danbb

Very nice, make them all big! How is your water current now? Did you decrease the flow since you saw the youngs?

Very nice, make them all big! How is your water current now? Did you decrease the flow since you saw the youngs?
I increased, I had decreased it and then forgot about it and had to leave out of state for 6 days when I got back I increased it and water changed and that's when I saw babies. The flow helps distribute the grindal worms. The fry usually are in two groups grazing. And for some reason the mother has been in the over turned pot today with just a couple babies in there. Not sure why. But everyone is happy and they have at least doubled in size in 10 days. I feed the parents black worms and tubifex so I'm sure the fry get some of that to. Been feeding twice a day.

MickeM

5 Year Member
I have been emptying(?) a small amount of water and sand with a hose. Then cleaning the sand (approximately 1/2 liter-1liter) and put it back + adding new quality water. That probably lower the nitrates and the KH. When often start mating as a result of this.

krudolph

I am unprepared for fry. I have some frozen baby brine and some small fry flake. My killies survived without me knowing, but they benefited from the live plants. Will they eat baby brine or the fry flake? Again, I not optimistic she will be able to keep the others at bay and it is her first hatch.

I feed mine grindal worms and they just graze off the plants and wood. I've also fed them decapusalted brine shrimp and they chowed on those. U could grind the flake into very fine and then mix with tank water and pour from there.

My apistos refuse flakes or any other food that isn't alive. They are snobs

Jmty

big changes had worked for me,put in another tanks and i get fry,this was not done on purpose yes by casualty.but fry is here.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Do you do the water change with matching temperature water? I found success with large changes of about 30% with cold water straight from tap and dechlorinated - the drop in temperature seems to trigger spawning behaviour quite often. I also learned that I was interfering with the tank too often, cleaning, vaccing, moving things around etc. I found after just leaving it alone for a few weeks other than water changes seems to result in happier fish - not the cleanest tank to look at but the fish seem to prefer it which is of course the most important thing.

caraway

Interesting topic. I spawn my triple red cacatuoides in a 10 gallon tank. Bare bottom with a couple of small clay pots on their side. No plants in the tank. I use no additives to alter the water. Temp is abut 77 deg. f. TDH is what comes out of my tap. Around 174 tdh on my meter. I usually set up a tank with a couple of pairs and see what develops. When I see a pair become protective of a clay pot I remove the other pair.. I leave both parents in with the spawn. This method works well with most of my Apistos.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Do you do the water change with matching temperature water? I found success with large changes of about 30% with cold water straight from tap and dechlorinated - the drop in temperature seems to trigger spawning behaviour quite often. I also learned that I was interfering with the tank too often, cleaning, vaccing, moving things around etc. I found after just leaving it alone for a few weeks other than water changes seems to result in happier fish - not the cleanest tank to look at but the fish seem to prefer it which is of course the most important thing.

Hi David (??) !

I probably use slightly cooler water to put in, but I think the main issues are the No2+KH+ "salinity change".. Even though most people don`t think of this water as "salty" it do contain restproducts from diverse decaying organic matter. (roots,
food and other things) Exactly as the "old" Aquarium water we change.
Many breeders seem to get good result by using Reverse Osmosis Systems. That gives them the low values in
the Electrical conductivity you will find in many river systems of the Amazon..

And as you are saying, it sometimes looks like you get a better functioning tank if you leave it for a while. As long as one don`t "overfeed" the fishes.. the bacteria get to do their job and plants can start using the debris(?) in the sand?? (Cryptocoryne/Echinodorus)
That is also the reason many fishes start breeding(not only Apistos!!) or get aggressive in the beginning I guess (when you first bring them home or put them in a newly setup tank )
The water is sooo "clean"/ pure !! They can not stop themselves ...:) If the females are ready!!!

uberape

hey, i would suggest moving the coconut to the back left corner, better even to replace it with a plain ceramic mug, then enclose it off with your rocks into a little secret hide away, secret from you as well as fish. make the entry facing away from your sight. perhaps divide the tank into two distinct sides more as well. and if you cant get live food, hatch your own baby brine shrimp, which you should be in practise for the fry- you can get the 90% eggs from internet and hatch method from youtube. Id also get ready to take out all the other fish when the parents turn hectic.

My apistos have another batch of free swimming fry, 15 days since there last ones. So there are 15 day old fry and fry from today in the same tank from the same pair. Crazy

danbb

@ uberape - In few days my second tank will be ready for apisto breeding (same size, even same background with this one). I will move 1 male + 1-2 females (not sure yet), my RO system is active and I want to use 5o% RO water and 50 % tap water. No plants, except some on the surface, just sand, drift wood, oak leaves alder fruits and maybe coconut caves or other caves. In the past, I didn't see any eggs inside the coconut, they spawned on the aquarium background and even on the echinodorus leaves. I will try with baby brine shrimp. Thank you.

@ Tattooedfool83 - WOW!! Your fish are extremely horny. Congrats!

aarhud

5 Year Member
For Apistogramma, I think the general rule of thumb is make sure you have soft, slightly acidic water, try to feed some live food, and sit back and wait. Other than weekly water changes, the more you mess with decor, temps, etc you are just prolonging the fish settling down and getting comfortable IME. I'm sure you have to baby some of the finicky species, but for most species the patience involved for waiting on them to get going is the hardest part.

The above has worked for me for every species I have kept except A. iniridae.

danbb

GOOD NEWS: Second tank, one pair, 25 days of waiting and tonight: surprise!!! About 30 fry, free swimming with mom. I'll be back with some pictures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….