• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Problem breedind cacatuoides

I had a tank melt down, lost two sets of fry. I have 3 survivors and the parents and a new 2 day old fry brood swimming about. These guys are getting upgraded to a 20long and I'm gonna get maybe 2 more females

danbb

Thanks. It's a great feeling when you see the fry, especially when you try to breed them for couple of months.
Good job with with the upgrade, the fish will love the new tank. Sorry for your loss...
If starting tomorrow, I will change 30 % of water daily, it's ok for the fry?

Last edited:
They are non stop breeders once they get going. I gonna try and pull the new fry at a week or two and see if they will spawn again quick. I have a credit at my lfs so when they get in there next cacs I'm grabbing two more females. It's gonna be a 20long with 1 male 3 females and 7 rummy nose tetra from another tank I'm breaking down

krudolph

Congrats Dan.! I now have three spawns. Two are in my main tank with swimming groups on the opposite ends of the tank. I need to pull the two other males as they are caught in the middle of the madness, but don't have a good home for them at the moment. If not, the fry will probably not make it. Funny everyone said they had best success with low water flow. I have been trying to find lower flow and quiet filters and each one seemed like too much or too loud (in my bedroom). The first spawn was under the pump where the flow is the highest. I turned if off and started another pump on the other end. The second pair spawned directly under it....go figure.

The other spawn is in a 15G long with just one pair.

Last edited:

danbb

Thanks. Congrats to you too.
I have a very good external filter, I can precisely regulate the water flow, I keep it running about half power, maybe low, so the flow was quite low.
My problem is that I don't know what to do with the admission: to leave it like it is and risk of sucking fry inside, or cover it (not very good filtration)...

krudolph

Thanks. A lot fun when you see the fry swimming around......

What kind of filter do you have? I want one that has adjustable flow and is quiet. As far as the intake I put a round filter sponge over it to protect the fry. It already has a hole in the middle so I just slide it over the intake tube.

danbb

I have "JBL Cristal Profi E901 GL (GreenLine)" filter, a very good filter, and quiet.
I will cover the intake, thanks.
I saw dad taking one fry in his mouth and then spitting him (3 times, 3 different fry). Can he be a danger for the fry, can he eat his own fry? The mother is very protective but the fry goes sometimes in different directions.

The father of my fry will scoop up random stranglers and spit them back in the crowd. There first batch he ate a few. I'm always worried when I feed them that he might snack some up but that's when the female blocks him by turning sideways

danbb

I put one sponge filter upon the intake.
Today the parents are very calm, which is good for the fry.
How much do you guys let the fry with their parents? What is the risk of diseases? I ask that because today I saw a tiny white worm swimming and one fry was trying to eat that little worm. I know that this worm appears from food, is that dangerous for the fry or they will only enjoy by eating them?

danbb

Tonight, right before the female move the fry in the cave, the male eat 4 fry (from what I saw in 2-3 minutes).
What is the best think to do: remove the male, move the fry into a separate tank just for them or leave them? I have one tank with 20 fry, about the size of this fry so a have a place for them. All fry are eating BBS already.
Thanks.

danbb

For the moment I let the male in the tank because moving means another tank with a bigger male inside... I was look after him today and he chased few fry but didn't catch any to eat. Last night he eat the fry when the female was doing laps to move the fry into the cave and they were unsupervised, and the lights was turned off (sleeping time). I didn't put a moonlight close to the cave, I think I must do that for tonight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….