• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Normal or Breeding Behaviour?

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Hi all, yet another question :rolleyes:

I know I've been asking a few but here's another

the fish I've mentioned in this thread
http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=3360

2 are in a 10gallon tank with 6 neons and a wild type betta, they have a few caves but one has shown real dominance over a particular cave and since it has a large opening its started to build up a wall out of the sand substrate, would this be normal behavior? Because of their size/age I'm doubting its breeding behaviour but I'll admit I know little about their habbits. Also while this particular fish is often around the tank it has been spending more time in the cave. Thanks in advance

Konigwolf

Apistt_ed

hello Konigwolf,

Many apistos will spawn at and early age. Size isn't a factor in whether or not they are ready to spawn. Chances are if they are newly introduced to the tank, they may just be feeling out the tank and trying to establish their own boundries in the tank. that's just one of the possibilities. The other one is that they are getting ready to spawn. As long as it seems like one isn't overly aggressive and not doing any dangerous damage to the other than it shouldn't be a problem at all. Keep and eye on them and see if the one in the cave does turn the familiar yellow of that of apisto females in spawning dress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….