• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie Breeding Questions (Dither/Water Conditioning)

PikeLee

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I’m kind of new to breeding Dwarf Cichlids? I breed some of my Central American Cichlids (Convicts), but them things are like Rabbits. I wasn’t really into breeding my fish and had some of my Cr. Compressiceps spawn a couple of times before, but I think my Honeycomb Tatias ate the Eggs.

Now that I’m actually trying to breed these fish and possibly some of my other Dwarf Pikes (Nothos/Reganis) or Apistos, I was wondering if I could get some help.

1st. Most of the dwarf pikes like a PH in the 5.5-6 areas, temps in the mid 80’s, and Soft water. They seem to be pretty shy unless there’s some kind of dither/target fish. Does anyone actually use Dither/Target fish in a breeding tank? And if so, what do you use that can tolerate such water Conditions?

2nd. This may be a dumb be a dumb question, but “where is the RO Processor Placed?†I never seen this used before. Is it something that is put onto your water system or aquarium filter?

3rd. My Tap is Slightly Hard, with a PH around 7.8. I bring it down with some PH Down, and I have a water-softening pillow that I use to make it softer. I keep reading people using Peat to soften and lower the PH. Is Peat “Peat Moss†or is it something else?

I know this is a lot, but I figure I hit you guys up hard and for my first post. Make somewhat of an impression. 8)

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)

I will address your questions...
1st. Most of the dwarf pikes like a PH in the 5.5-6 areas, temps in the mid 80’s, and Soft water. They seem to be pretty shy unless there’s some kind of dither/target fish. Does anyone actually use Dither/Target fish in a breeding tank? And if so, what do you use that can tolerate such water Conditions?

I use platies. They generally stay nar the top and the cichlids do not seem to have a problem fending them off. Top dwelling tetras like hatchets should work well also. I think that dithers are important to making pairs feel more secure.

“where is the RO Processor Placed?†I never seen this used before. Is it something that is put onto your water system or aquarium filter?

R/O systems are used to create purified water. They are not usually placed as a part of a filter system, except for some large reef systems where they are used to keep water levels and salt concentrations at normal levels. Mine hangs on the wall of my garage with a hose running to it. I fill up a 40 gallon reservoir, then carry water from the reservoir to the tanks. An R/O might be in your future. pH 7.8 in tap water usually indicates a high buffering capacity. Mine is really high, so I use RO/DI. DI = deionization, which gets even more stuff out of the tap water.

Is Peat “Peat Moss†or is it something else?

Yes. There are several grades and qualities of peat moss. I know that many people use the cheap stuff from a nursery. I do not use it, however, since I use R/O.

Neil

PikeLee,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Well I agree with Ted in his assumption that an RO might be in your future. If you are working with Pikes and apisto, it would be invaluable to you. Peat is something that you can definitely add, even if you do use RO water. I do. If you want to know more about peat, do a search (above). You will find more than enough info on it.

And if so, what do you use that can tolerate such water Conditions?

The dithers that you use is unlimited. Most SouthAmerican and West African tetra will love that water. There are tons of others too - Rasbora, pencils, hatchets, livebeares, etc. Here is another topic that plenty of info can be found by typing "dithers" in the search.

Congratulations on your compressiceps spawn :D . That is a great little pike! Good luck with your other pikes and any future apisto breeding projects. Ask away any questions that you have. There are a bunch of us here that really like Dwarf pikes and more than a bunch that like apistos 8O

By the way - Love your movies! :roll:
Neil

PikeLee

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input, especially the clarification on the R/O. I'm think I'm going to hold off on the R/O and try experiment with the Peat. The R/O units I've seen are a bit pricey for me. SkepticalAquarist.com has some good stuff on the Peat.

I agree with you on the dithers. My pikes were really shy. Once I put some danios in, they came right out. I just didn't think there was a dither that would tolerate such conditions. I'll probably try out some platys too for some of my other tanks.

BTW:
Ted,
Love your area. I'm in the Process of trying to move to the Chandler/Gilbert Area. 8) Hopefully we'll be neighbors soon.

Neil,
I'm sure I'll be posting many questions. I'm glad to have found a site that actually knows Dwarf Pikes Exist. I had a discussion with this LFS owner. And he thought I was lying to him about owning dwarf pikes. He kind of even tried to tell me in a round about way that I didn't know what I was talking about. 8O

I had the Compress. spawn a couple of times when I wasn't even trying. That's with a PH at 7.5, temps in low 80's, and with no special diet. Now that I'm trying, I'm having some difficulty. :( Many thanks and check out my Next movie coming out, "Pike Fever" :lol:

Cheers.

pikette

5 Year Member
Hi PikeLee,
I am currently using Crenuchus spirilus as dithers for my Cr. compressiceps. I have gotten them to spawn only once. The pH was 5 or so. I use mostly rainwater. I think I will switch to distilled water to prompt them to spawn again.

I have had to put a divider back in the tank as the male is quite belligerent.

PikeLee

5 Year Member
Pikette,

I think a divider for smaller tanks and many hiding spots for a bit larger is the way to go with these guys. I had them spawn in a 10g with a ton of shale. But after there was no fry, the male almost killed the female. She’s missing some of her caudal fin because of it. It’s been at least 6 months not and I see no signs of the fin coming back.

Good luck, and if you get a chance or have room for some dwarf pikes that are a bit calmer, try some from the Wallacii Group. The Notho is a gorgeous little pike.

pikette

5 Year Member
Nothos calmer! Ha! I had 24 of those guys. Now I'm down to 3 evil, evil pairs. Wallaci ate my cardinals. I do love this species and plan to put together my largest male with a rather large female who has been in quarentine.

I'll keep you posted.

PikeLee

5 Year Member
Wow. I’m surprised, that you had those results. I had 2 in a 10G. They weren’t a mating pair and they didn’t beat each other up. Well, good luck with your pikes. If you have any success, I’d appreciate the assistance, as I will do the same.

Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….