• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Tank, Need Help with Stocking

Leliana10

Hi!

I got my first tank in early March, it is set up and now cycled. So I have been looking at what I want to put in the tank, my thoughts have changed 5 times total so far but I think I am getting close to deciding what I want in my tank.

First some information about the tank itself: 15G column tank from Aqueon, Aquaclear 30 filter, 250 Watt heater, a 10,000K 12" fluorescent light bulb, plus a separate Finnex 12" Planted Plus 24/7 light, an air stone and an air pump. Live plants, driftwood and some plant specific substrate are also in the tank. I also tested the water hardness recently and found out the GH is 214.8ppm.

Here is what I'm thinking of for fish: 2 mystery snails, 10 chili rasboras, 5 each of ember tetras and celestial pearl danios and a pair of apistogramma. I think this would work in my tank but I welcome an ideas and advice that can be given towards this.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
.....15G column tank from Aqueon, Aquaclear 30 filter, 250 Watt heater, a 10,000K 12" fluorescent light bulb, plus a separate Finnex 12" Planted Plus 24/7 light, an air stone and an air pump. Live plants, driftwood and some plant specific substrate are also in the tank. I also tested the water hardness recently and found out the GH is 214.8ppm.
Sounds a good tank, I like planted tanks. Your water is about 12dGH, so moderately hard.
Here is what I'm thinking of for fish: 2 mystery snails, 10 chili rasboras, 5 each of ember tetras and celestial pearl danios and a pair of apistogramma. I think this would work in my tank but I welcome an ideas and advice that can be given towards this.
You aren't going to like me, but it isn't really a suitable tank for keeping dwarf cichlids in. The problem is that it has a very restricted footprint (it is a tall, thin tank) and it is the bottom area that is important for cichlids.

There is also a problem with CPD, in that they are active swimmers, so they may find the tank size too restrictive. Ember Tetra and Chilli Rasbora are better in softer water, but may be OK.

Somebody might be able to suggest small fish for harder water.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I, too, agree with Darrel (as usual:D). Now if the tank could be tipped over on its long side it would work well for what you want. Your column tank is better suited for less active fish. These include most pencilfish, smaller killifish, dwarf gouramies and bettas (smaller wild species), and dwarf species of cory cats possibly. The only species of apistos that I can think of that would be comfortable in your tank are A. wapisana and A. sp. Chao - neither of which are typically imported because they both are what I affectionately call 'ugly apistos' (my kind of apisto!).

Leliana10

Hi all,

Sounds a good tank, I like planted tanks. Your water is about 12dGH, so moderately hard.

You aren't going to like me, but it isn't really a suitable tank for keeping dwarf cichlids in. The problem is that it has a very restricted footprint (it is a tall, thin tank) and it is the bottom area that is important for cichlids.

There is also a problem with CPD, in that they are active swimmers, so they may find the tank size too restrictive. Ember Tetra and Chilli Rasbora are better in softer water, but may be OK.

Somebody might be able to suggest small fish for harder water.

cheers Darrel

Well the tank is a 13.5" square shape and with the 3" of substrate is only 18" tall and the overall height is 24". I guess I should have mentioned the measurements on it but would that make a difference? Maybe I could even include a picture?

Well the tank was an impulse buy, not a good thing looking back on it but I can't afford to change it right now. I haven't totally decided on the celestial pearl danios yet so if they don't work then I won't get them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Leliana10

I, too, agree with Darrel (as usual:D). Now if the tank could be tipped over on its long side it would work well for what you want. Your column tank is better suited for less active fish. These include most pencilfish, smaller killifish, dwarf gouramies and bettas (smaller wild species), and dwarf species of cory cats possibly. The only species of apistos that I can think of that would be comfortable in your tank are A. wapisana and A. sp. Chao - neither of which are typically imported because they both are what I affectionately call 'ugly apistos' (my kind of apisto!).

I wish I could do that, tip the tank over onto its long side but the opening is at the top of the square so I can't do that. The tank was an impulse buy, not a good thing for this hobby I have come to find out.

I have looked at both Betta and dwarf gourami but I've read that both can be mean and be difficult to have in a community tank, which is what I want to have. Are there any species of killifish you could recommend?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have looked at both Betta and dwarf gourami but I've read that both can be mean and be difficult to have in a community tank, which is what I want to have. Are there any species of killifish you could recommend?
Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila) might do, or Norman's Lamp-eye (Aplocheilichthys normani), but not together. Corydoras hastatus is a dwarf Corydoras that likes a planted tank, and doesn't mind harder water, but they aren't easy to find.

I definitely think less is more with small tanks, and I wouldn't have more than two species.

cheers Darrel

Leliana10

Hi all,

Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila) might do, or Norman's Lamp-eye (Aplocheilichthys normani), but not together. Corydoras hastatus is a dwarf Corydoras that likes a planted tank, and doesn't mind harder water, but they aren't easy to find.

I definitely think less is more with small tanks, and I wouldn't have more than two species.

cheers Darrel

The Norman's Lamp-Eye do look really neat. Aquariumwiki recommends 1 male to 2 female ratio, would that work with some of the pygmy cory cats?

With my tank measurements above could I possibly have 2 apistogramma borellii or apistogramma cacatuoides? Or my tank still not big enough? They seem to be on the smaller end and don't tend to get very big from what I've seen online.

Leliana10

Here is a picture of the tank in question:
9ae4ff38a07bc1bc96ab30c14e03ddc5.jpg

I thought maybe having a picture of the tank will help match the dimensions I listed. But I think I might be good for the smaller apistogramma species, like apistogramma borellii or apistogramma cacatuoides?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The Norman's Lamp-Eye do look really neat. Aquariumwiki recommends 1 male to 2 female ratio, would that work with some of the pygmy cory cats?
They are fine together. I had some "in storage" in a similar sized tank for ~6 months. I don't know how tolerant Corydoras pygmaeus is of harder water.
Here is a picture of the tank in question:
I thought maybe having a picture of the tank will help match the dimensions I listed. But I think I might be good for the smaller apistogramma species, like apistogramma borellii or apistogramma cacatuoides?
OK, it is a bit bare, you could possibly keep a single Apistogramma borellii, but only if you had a lot more cover.

Have a look at <"Dwarf Cichlid- Aquarium Care"> and <"Some pics from a basement...">.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. borellii is a possibility, but definitely can't recommend A. cacatuoides, which is a highly polygamous species. Males with only 1 female would drive her nuts in such a small tank. If the female produced freeswimming fry the tables would be turned. Have you though what you'd do if your apistos did produce fry in such a small (area-wise) tank? If you're not interested in breeding, maybe you'd be do better with just a single male specimen of almost any apisto species.

gerald

5 Year Member
Darrel - why do you advice against sparkiling gouramis together with lamp-eyes? Is it water chemsitry difference? The Florida farms have produced sparkling and croaking gouramis in hard water for decades. Others you might consider that can live with limited horizontal space:: Badis, Dario, Crenuchus, Betta channoides, Elassoma, Lamprologus multifasciatus, ...

Leliana10

Hi all,
They are fine together. I had some "in storage" in a similar sized tank for ~6 months. I don't know how tolerant Corydoras pygmaeus is of harder water.
OK, it is a bit bare, you could possibly keep a single Apistogramma borellii, but only if you had a lot more cover.

Have a look at <"Dwarf Cichlid- Aquarium Care"> and <"Some pics from a basement...">.

cheers Darrel
Okay. Could all 3 of those of those fish work together? Like the Corydoras, Norman's Lamp-Eye and the apistogramma borellii?

Well the tank just planted last week so the plants just need some time to grow.

Last edited:

Leliana10

A. borellii is a possibility, but definitely can't recommend A. cacatuoides, which is a highly polygamous species. Males with only 1 female would drive her nuts in such a small tank. If the female produced freeswimming fry the tables would be turned. Have you though what you'd do if your apistos did produce fry in such a small (area-wise) tank? If you're not interested in breeding, maybe you'd be do better with just a single male specimen of almost any apisto species.

Okay. I will do more research into apistogramma borellii then. Well what is the likelihood of them producing any fry in my tank? I do know that fry would need to be moved to either another tank or a breeding box in order to survive and grow. I know that there is fry specific food you need but I assume that the kind of food depends on the species? Okay. I will keep that in mind, thank you!

Leliana10

Darrel - why do you advice against sparkiling gouramis together with lamp-eyes? Is it water chemsitry difference? The Florida farms have produced sparkling and croaking gouramis in hard water for decades. Others you might consider that can live with limited horizontal space:: Badis, Dario, Crenuchus, Betta channoides, Elassoma, Lamprologus multifasciatus, ...

Okay. I like the lamprologus multifaciatus and the dario. I will be doing some research on them. Is there anything specific I should know about them? I saw that lamprologus multifaciatus are shell dwelling cichlids, I assume I could get shells on amazon if I decided to go with them?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Darrel - why do you advice against sparkiling gouramis together with lamp-eyes? Is it water chemsitry difference?
No I had them together in soft water. I had loads of Lamp-eyes at one point and I put some in with the Corydoras and Trichopsis until I get sell/give them away.

The problem was the Sparkling Gourami harassed the Norman's Lamp-eyes and they didn't have anywhere to escape to.

I think a lot of the comments written about Trichopsis pumila don't coincide with my experience. They were aggressive to one another, destroyed Cherry shrimp as a "pack", and harassed much larger fish.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
Hmmm ... didnt realize that sparklers were so aggressive. They look so sweet and inoffensive in the pet shop.
Sarah - if you get "multies" or other shell-dwelling cichlid then don't try to add any other fish species in a tank that small.
You'll have space for a small breeding group (4 or 5 adults) and their juvenile offspring. As the young mature you'll need to remove and re-home them.

Leliana10

Hmmm ... didnt realize that sparklers were so aggressive. They look so sweet and inoffensive in the pet shop.
Sarah - if you get "multies" or other shell-dwelling cichlid then don't try to add any other fish species in a tank that small.
You'll have space for a small breeding group (4 or 5 adults) and their juvenile offspring. As the young mature you'll need to remove and re-home them.

Okay, so if I got for the shell dwellers I can only have them? Would I have to do the same thing if I got two apistogramma borellii?

Last edited:

gerald

5 Year Member
If you get two borelli of the same sex so there's no danger of breeding, they'd probably live OK with with small tetras, danios, barbs (cherry, checkerboard), pencils, or hatchets ... Keep in mind there's always some risk when keeping any cichlids or territorial fish in small tanks.

Leliana10

If you get two borelli of the same sex so there's no danger of breeding, they'd probably live OK with with small tetras, danios, barbs (cherry, checkerboard), pencils, or hatchets ... Keep in mind there's always some risk when keeping any cichlids or territorial fish in small tanks.
Okay. What about if I ended up with two borellii of the opposite gender? The place I'm looking at claims they are a male and female but also says that the sex they are sending isn't guaranteed. So you might end up with two males or two female instead of a male and female.

I was looking at some ember tetras and chili rasboras as well as two snails to go with the cichlids I get, if that will work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….