• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Never trust the LFS guy...

manyoumad

Hi

Can anyone ID these two fish for me?

cichlid1.jpg

cichlid.jpg

Thanks

P

Tea

5 Year Member
1 is a apisto. steel blue 2 is L. curviceps. Yeah some LFs donot have good Id.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Agree with Tea, although I'd probably go for Laetacara dorsigera. The "Steel-blue" is a male.

cheers Darrel

manyoumad

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

I bought them none the wiser as a "pair of apistogramma borelli" from my LFS. I was particularly fond of the Blue Steel's awesome blue face and the friendliness of the flag who is very attentive at the front of the tank whenever there is human attention.

The LSF guy first thought they were caucatoides - but then checked the invoice from when the fish arrived and this suggested borelli. Scary stuff, which really makes me inclined to try and buy fish through the hobby rather than the LFS.

They've been fairly aggressive towards each other lately so something has got to give. I'd like to get my hands on a mate for the l. curviceps who is super cute - he/she kinda sits and watches me work.

The blue steel may be on its way back to the LFS...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have to agree with Darrel, the Laetacara is a form of L. dorsigera. It has split vertical bars on the posterior of the caudal peduncle; L. curviceps does not. True L. curviceps seem to be harder to come by lately; probably has to do with Brazilian origins. Now a bluish form of L. dorsigera is being sold commonly as curviceps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….